Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
www.zabkat.com/blog/find-dead-links.htm
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: blog: find dead shortcuts

Post by Kilmatead »

It vexes me that I cannot find fault with your methodology. I'm terribly vexed.

Apropos of nothing, while trying to poke holes in your lost-link approach, it strikes me that there should be a means of directly shunting the <Ctrl+F> output into the mini-scrap instead of needing a separate window. This too, vexes me. Faffing about with extra windows should be optional, not required. Yes, this is probably off topic for this thread (that's what happens when moderation is lax), but I really was trying to break your lost-link methodology, and the only conclusion I could come to was that <Ctrl+A> + drag & drop to miniscrap + close scrap container is irksome. And terribly, oh most terribly, vexing.

I'm going to mention this repeatedly between now and the next micro-version. R-e-p-e-a-t-e-d-l-y, I say. Unless there's a setting I don't know about which could unvex me.

:)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

why don't you channel your creative energy away from anger and into finding a solution for improving the "fixing" broken LNK part?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote: 2024 Jul 11, 04:26 why don't you channel your creative energy ... into finding a solution for improving the "fixing" broken LNK part?
Funny you should mention that, as I actually started such a thing awhile ago (well, "faking" the Distributed Link Tracking thingy by extending it to Reparse Points, which it does not do by itself), but oddly enough I got completely sidetracked with the whole COM object rigmarole that's required to get LNK targets.

As you well know, such knowledge is closely guarded by the Illuminati and hidden in deep caves in the darkest parts of the Himalayas. After much prising, clawing, grasping, and offering of bribes to the Dalai Lama, I finally liberated the necessary routines out of the clutches of the murky cabal. But by then I had become a broken man, a mere shell of myself, fit only for the the poorest alcohol and cheapest prostitutes in the worst Speakeasies imaginable. The worst ones! Could you ever imagine an Irishman saying such a thing? That's how bad it was, wracked with despair, sinking into the darkest of days, the loneliest of the lonely.

Anyway, I somehow got sidetracked onto something else, so left the project drift asunder. That being said, it wouldn't be that difficult to take the lost link targets and spit variations of filenames and paths into ES (since I already know how to do that) - returning an array of likely candidates.

That's the problem though, they could only ever be "likely" candidates as you have nothing else to compare them with, you don't know the original attributes, you don't know the original sizes, dates, etc. You've got a name. Which would work fine for something like MrSnuffleupagus.dox, but would prove less effective for Test.txt. I imagine that the DLT Service would have cached the attributes of the original object, so it could find a alternate location and consider it reliable. Worse, possibly dragging in that USN Journal stuff and comparing file movements, just for extra probability.

Not crazy about putting all sorts of effort into something that amounts to random fumbling in the dark. That would just bring back painful memories of early sexual experiences.

Like I said, I was left a broken man. Mr. Snuffleupagus is not known as a paragon of hopeful causes. Just look at that face.