Re: xplorer2 v.5.50.13 beta

Post by nikos »

you can't have vertical toolbars, but you can hide them by right click
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Yeah, I know that too. But I do want access, and having them able to be hidden like sidebar elements, using the pin to show or die to a minimized element, would go a long way to recovering that space without having to write up a function to manually hide / show them using a macro of some sort.

And the adddress-bar for each pane is a very nice feature to have, especially since you already have the breadcrumbs for each pane there.

At any rate, though, X² still serves it purpose for advanced FM needs, so I'm sticking with it for those types of scenarios that I encounter.

Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

nikos wrote: 2024 May 24, 18:05 you can't have vertical toolbars...
Why are vertical toolbars such a NO-NO? Is it because of the language you have written x² in or is it just your personal hate of them?
I know of at least three file managers that have them (I use two of them on a regular basis).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

everything is possible but xplorer2 has a docking pane framework that doesn't allow toolbars in the middle, they must be on an edge. You can't have the addressbar vertical. Possibly normal button toolbars could be placed vertically, say on the left edge, but what would be the advantage?
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

So, it is down to the limitations of the high lever language. That's why I preferred to write in assembler, that way I had complete control of what the code did.

The middle vertical toolbar is, as I've said, ergonomic in certain situations: select item in left pane, move right, select action in middle toolbar (copy), move to right pane. Moving the mouse to the top toolbar, and back, is wasted energy.

I suppose it could be argued that the excess movement of the body generates heat, hence it's actually saving energy. :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

on the other hand think of the hand exercise you get by moving to a "remote" toolbar :)
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

I have Polymyalgia rheumatica, sometimes movement of my hands is very painful.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

nikos wrote: 2024 May 25, 03:54 everything is possible but xplorer2 has a docking pane framework that doesn't allow toolbars in the middle, they must be on an edge. You can't have the addressbar vertical. Possibly normal button toolbars could be placed vertically, say on the left edge, but what would be the advantage?
I doubt anyone would want an addressbar vertical.

The other bars, though, could benefit from a vertical approach. Though I like Gandalf's idea of a vertical bar with primary pane functions in between panes, even OC doesn't do that.

But the drive bar for each pane? That could easily go vertical, as seen in my OC screenshots.
And I really do think that since you have the breadcrumbs for each pane already there, converting those to individualized addressbars and removing the top on completely (well, hiding it, allowing for those users who prefer it there to enable it) is neither too much to ask, nor a nonsensical ask.

Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Three file managers I know with vertical toolbar between the panes:
Double Commander
Salamander (x64)
Total Commander 64 bit

I think Nikos meant toolbar, not address bar. I didn't mention address bar.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

I did, though, in my lengthy examples of why parts of the X² UI are rather dated.

Plus, he contrasted addressbar (can't be vertical at all) with toolbars (can only be vertical along the edges).