Option to automatically remove spaces after file names...

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

The behaviour X² is showing now with respect to selecting words is consistent with the way other programs do this selection (when double clicked) and I think that consistency should prevail in this case.
Other programs also don't automatically omit the extension from file name editing for you either--but x2 does.  The point of x2 is to prevail upon other programs' hassles.  :roll:  x2 already agrees that editing single file names should be hassle free.  But it's missing one last detail.

The simple fact is: These exampled inconveniences are a common and frequent occurance in file name editing.  And the proposed smart detection and removal of redundant end spaces would greatly enhance workflow of editing numerous dissimilar file names this way.   :wink:
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

I simply don't think this option of yours is innovative enough to be implemented.
Example #3:

Please edit these file names and remove all the numbers [and end spaces] for me:

sun 700.avi
cat 05.jpg
dog 14.gif
ocean 1024.avi
tree 57.png
sand 037.png
hat 1600.jpg
water 05687.jpg
cup 3456.gif
grass 026334.bmp
rocks 023.tif
birds 1600.avi
moon 1024.png
backspace 247.jpg
etc 365.gif

And count the total number of times you had to press backspace, of course.  :roll:
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

TsunamiZ,

I think I see your point.
In some ways, it is a nice idea; but I have to agree with JRz & the other posters to this thread  in that it is neither a big benefit, nor one that any of them would use.  

For now, I think you have stated your case.  If a few others agree that it would be quite desireable, I will change my mind, and, it may get nikos' attention.  (I note that so far it's 4 to 1 for the 'not especially useful' point of view.)

My take on the situation comes down to asking how far I should expect xplorer² to save me from my lack of attention to detail.  To what extent should I expect x2 to do what I have in mind, vs do what I tell it to do?  
The operative example here is a cut-and-paste where I may have included leading or trailing spaces or other 'blank' characters in a string I want to use as a filename.  
Apparently your usage is such that you often include such characters in your 'cuts'; and you seem bothered by the need to go back and correct your choice after the 'paste'.  (I see the benefit when that happens.)
While it is feasable to write code to trim the leading and trailing spaces from a paste into the filename block, at this time I believe doing so falls somewhere between a low-priority task and not worth the effort to do at all.  (above discussion composed before I saw your last previous post)

BTW - I appreciate your enthusiasm for suggesting ideas to improve x2.  Please recognize that you are not the only user and that many others use x2 quite differently from you.  We try to incude all perspectives when moving forward with ideas. That includes recognizing that there is only one developer for x2 (nikos) and that this is only a part-time effort on his part sandwiched between a day-job and a having a life.
(The rest of us are volunteers who are hooked on x2 and seek to help others use it productively and to make it even better going forward.)

HTH

PS (to you list of space-filled filenames) -
Spaces in filenames make them more readable.
I like them most of the time. ;)
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

Spaces in filenames make them more readable.
I like them most of the time.
If the extension text gets in the way of you reading file names, the smart solution would be to turn off extension visibility--not adding spaces after file names.  The quirky extra spaces can be an eyesore for many people, since a majory of file names on a hard drive aren't consistent with that.  

Overall, the extra spaces looks like rather sloppy file naming and management.  Imagine telling someone to open "file  .doc" vs "file .doc" vs "file.doc", etc.  Not very practical at all when it comes to multi-user/collborative environments, and even makes remembering  files hard on yourself.   :wink:
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

In some ways, it is a nice idea; but I have to agree with JRz & the other posters to this thread  in that it is neither a big benefit, nor one that any of them would use.
x2 is currently smart enough to omit extension selection for you when renaming files.  Now, if x2 DIDN'T already do that and I requested such a feature, would you call it useless as well?  Would you think it a trivial enhancement?  :roll:
My take on the situation comes down to asking how far I should expect xplorer² to save me from my lack of attention to detail.
It's not about saving the user from lack of attention to detail.  It's about eliminating repetitive keystrokes and speeding up dissimilar file name editing efficiency, for users have have a higher attention to detail.   :wink:
While it is feasable to write code to trim the leading and trailing spaces from a paste into the filename block, at this time I believe doing so falls somewhere between a low-priority task and not worth the effort to do at all.  (above discussion composed before I saw your last previous post)  
So after seeing the 3rd example of how much repetitive work the feature can save, you admit that this feature would have frequent reoccuring benefits for such a common task of editing dissimilar file names.   :roll:
That includes recognizing that there is only one developer for x2 (nikos) and that this is only a part-time effort on his part sandwiched between a day-job and a having a life.
I have not demanded any of my suggestions to be implemented within any limited time frame.  As frequently as I manage files on the PC, certain ideas come to me on how to work smarter, and I post it here before I forget it.  :wink:
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

TsunamiZ,
You have stated your case; and it has been acknowledged.
Nobody (yet) agrees.
It's time to move on.
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

Good, glad it's finally clear what this feature is for.  :wink:
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

TsunamiZ wrote:[...]x2 is currently smart enough to omit extension selection for you when renaming files.  Now, if x2 DIDN'T already do that and I requested such a feature, would you call it useless as well?  Would you think it a trivial enhancement?  :roll:
[...]
While I agree it is time to move on I just have to answer this one (it the last I'll say about it  :twisted: )

Not selecting the extension while renaming is very useful because the extension identifies the type of file at hand. So in 99,9% of the cases, you don't want to change that at all, since you'll loose the 'connection' of the file to its editing application(s)!
You can't compare this to editing the part that makes up the real name of the file (just imagine how your file names look when you turn off the showing of extensions in Windows! You can't even get to the extension then while renaming)
This is comparing apples to pears.

But nuff said, let's move on. I do hope you'll keep the suggestions coming TsunamiZ, because discussions like these will make X² better in the end (whether this particular feature will make it in or not ;) )
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn: