File Extension in Either "Name"or "Type"

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

beau

File Extension in Either "Name"or "Type"

Post by beau »

How can the listing of files be made to include the file extension either
1)  in the name, so that in the listing in this image "xplorer2_lte" would appear as "xplorer2_lte.exe"
or
2) as .exe in the "Type" listing, instead of "Application"
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

That's actually controlled through Windows Explorer itself - either type "folder" into the Start Menu or open an Explorer window and go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View [tab] and untick the box next to "Hide extensions for known file types".

Or, as an alternative you may use the <Alt+K> menu to add the Extension [S] column to the display (or right-click on the columns-header and choose "Select Columns" to get to the same menu).

Note that some extensions (such as ".lnk" for Shortcuts) will not be automatically attached to the filename no matter what you do, but ".lnk" will appear under the Extension [S] column in those situations.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Actually, you can make the .lnk extensions visible by deleting this registry value

HKCR\lnkfile
NeverShowExt

but it gets pretty ugly... all shortcuts in the start menu and desktop will show the .lnk extension...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Interestingly enough (and this is useless for the Lite version), but doing that (after getting rid of the silly arrow-icon) was what prompted me to create my first ever colour-coding rule (*.lnk = Green) many years ago - I remember being amused that the rule worked even though the .lnk text was invisible after reversing the above registry trick due to ugliness.

I was so innocent then.  :D