Wrong (Greek) character display in Windows 8 Pro

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

earlpiggot

Wrong (Greek) character display in Windows 8 Pro

Post by earlpiggot »

I've been a very happy user of xplorer² over the years. I have the latest 2.3.0.1 [Unicode] x64 Pro version on my Windows 7 home desktop, and a couple of the free Lite versions on my Vista notebook and XP laptop.

Today I installed the latest Lite version on a new Dell Windows 8 Pro tablet and came across a problem for the very first time. Instead of "Τα έγγραφα μου", I get "?a ????af? μ??" and so on for shortcuts, file names and folder names in Greek. The same happens with various warning / message windows that show up while working with the xplorer². The name and all Greek text shows just fine inside the properties window, for any item that has the question marks in its name, so it's inside the panes that I get the problem. And when I use the native Windows 8 Explorer everything shows up just fine.

I've tried the Greek translated UI, the problem persists; I've played with the language settings in Windows 8, no luck either. Should I wait for a Unicode version of Lite, or is it already a Unicode one? Fact is I can't use my favourite file explorer on my tablet yet.

Any ideas, workarounds?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Wrong (Greek) character display in Windows 8 Pro

Post by Kilmatead »

Only the Pro and Ultimate versions of x2 are Unicode, whereas x2 Lite is Ansi only, which explains why you get "?a ????af? μ??" characters in text. Indeed, as you say you have used the Lite version before, you would have already seen this. :shrug:

There is no workaround, nor is there likely to be a Unicode version of x2 Lite (free is free for a reason :wink:).

However, if you already have a Pro license (as you indicate above), and these other devices are for you own personal use, you may use your original license to install the Pro version (which is always Unicode) instead of the Lite on the tablet as well. Reference this thread for Nikos' clarification. You would require multiple licenses only if the devices involve multiple users.

As an aside, exactly how (or why) anyone would do file-management on a tablet is beyond me, but someone may find a practical approach one day.
earlpiggot

Post by earlpiggot »

Kilmatead wrote:Indeed, as you say you have used the Lite version before, you would have already seen this. :shrug:
Could it be that the Lite versions run on Greek UI Windows versions then?
Kilmatead wrote:However, if you already have a Pro license (as you indicate above), and these other devices are for you own personal use, you may use your original license to install the Pro version (which is always Unicode) instead of the Lite on the tablet as well. Reference this thread for Nikos' clarification.
This is music to my ears!
Kilmatead wrote:As an aside, exactly how (or why) anyone would do file-management on a tablet is beyond me, but someone may find a practical approach one day.
It's not the RT/Metro, but the full one. You get a normal desktop and programs, together with the Metro interface. All you need to add is xplorer² and the Classic Start Menu. ;-)
earlpiggot

Post by earlpiggot »

up 'n' runnin' on the tablet. Next will come my other devices.

Nikos rocks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the lite version can speak greek if you set up your system language correctly, see
www.zabkat.com/blog/16May10-questionable-filenames.htm
earlpiggot

Post by earlpiggot »

nikos wrote:the lite version can speak greek if you set up your system language correctly, see
http://www.zabkat.com/blog/16May10-ques ... enames.htm
I know the setting; but I can't find where it's hidden under in Windows 8.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Tried Control Panel -> Region?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012