Reading from [folder name] failed miserably?

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

epack

Reading from [folder name] failed miserably?

Post by epack »

Getting this error message when trying to open a folder with a LARGE number of documents in it. Note this is a Sharepoint 2010 document library that can be opened in Explorer. I am migrating a large number of files (18K) from an older version of sharepoint via another tool (Quest). XPL was working fine, but as best as I can tell, the doc count is about running around 14.8K at the moment, and when I tried to open the folder to get a count, it failed with the message in the subject. Which I love, btw :) It also doesn't show true properties, either, just all zeros, unlike other smaller libs.

We have a couple of other large doc libs that were also throwing this error so I'm wondering if this is a Windows 7 max limitation or XplorerLite, because in both regular Explorer and XPlorer Lite, it also throws this error at the same time: "A device attached to the system is not functioning" which is essentially bogus in this context :) as best as I can tell. I'm guessing the former :(

XPL is still working fine with other, significantly smaller doc libs, so all is otherwise OK, thankfully.

TIA

elaine
Ivy, VA
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reading from [folder name] failed miserably?

Post by nikos »

sometimes you can get a more meaningful error using HELP > LAST ERROR menu command
18K files isn't that big... you can also try the professional xplorer2 and see if that works better
epack

Post by epack »

Oh cool, didn't even know about that command! Here's what I got (following the same "miserably" message :)

Windows error = 50: The request is not supported.

elaine
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's not that helpful either... did you try the professional version? (it's free to try)