Problem seeing files in c:\windows\system32

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pata

Problem seeing files in c:\windows\system32

Post by pata »

2.3.0.1 [Ansi] LITE 4/19/2013, Win 7 Pro 64bit

I'm seeing a weird problem. In this screen capture, Windows Explorer shows LangCleanupSysprepAction.dll, but xplorer2 Lite does not. This is just one example -- there are other files that show up in Windows Explorer that don't show up in xplorer2 Lite.

I'm sorting by name in both Windows Explorer and in xplorer2 Lite.

I have Windows Explorer configured to "Show hidden files, folders and drives" and to SHOW "protected operating system files".

In xplorer2 Lite, I have the Tools->Options->"Show Hidden files and folders" setting CHECKED.

Using the example file above, how do I get xplorer2 Lite to show LangCleanupSysprepAction.dll?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem seeing files in c:\windows\system32

Post by nikos »

are you on 64 bit windows? Then you need the 64 bit xplorer2 (free trial)
www.zabkat.com/x2-64bit.htm
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

For anyone interested, argumentative, belligerent, or confused, please see this thread for an explanation as to why this happens when you use x86 programmes on an x64 filesystem.
pata

Post by pata »

Kilmatead, thanks for the link to the explanation. I was aware that there was a 64 bit version of xplorer2, however, the description at the URL nikos provides is misleading:
Although the normal 32 bit executable works ok on windows 64 bit, some of your 64 bit shell namespace extensions won't appear in the shell context menu.
The way this reads, the 32 bit version is supposed to work OK, except that the shell context menu won't show all 64 bit shell namespace extensions, that is, shell context menu differences are the only problem. Since I'm not worried about the shell context menu, I went with xplorer2 Lite. But now I'm learning (thanks to your link) that "the normal 32 bit executable" does not "work ok on windows 64 bit." I understand now why it won't, but I'm wondering if the description for 32 bit xplorer2 could be updated to reflect the limitation it has on 64 bit windows? If I had known of this limitation, I wouldn't have bothered with xplorer2 Lite and would have gone straight to the 64 bit trial version.

Or maybe here's another suggestion: Could you update xplorer2 Lite so that it will give a message when viewing special 64 bit Windows folders (if that is even possible for xplorer2 Lite to detect) and alert the user that not all files will be shown, with an explanation as to why they won't be shown (it's a Windows problem, not xplorer2's fault), and a message that it will be necessary to download the 64 bit xplorer2 trial?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

To be fair, the shell extension-issue is of far greater importance to 99% of users, as those extensions are a more immediate, more obviously castrating sign of something being "not quite right". Most users do not go poking around within System32 for hands-on tweaking, and if they do, common-sense would suggest using anything labelled "Lite" to do it with is not to be recommended. There's a reason it's free. :wink:

Interestingly, the windows API does have a rather unstable function called Wow64DisableWow64FsRedirection which x86 processes may use for just such (location-browsing) occasions - but it comes with way too many caveats and pitfalls for it to be practical in this context. :shrug: