How to suppress unwanted network drives?

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Qwert

How to suppress unwanted network drives?

Post by Qwert »

In xplorer2 Lite, what is the proper way to keep network drives from displaying?

When I run Lite from my laptop, it shows directories for two other PCs in my household ... directories that I don't have access to ("Access Denied") and that I don't want cluttering my laptop's folder tree view. I see that I can right-click and "Remove device". But is that the proper way?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to suppress unwanted network drives?

Post by nikos »

I don't know if it's possible. However these appear only if you expand your NETWORK subnode, no? So it is very easy to keep them out of view then
Qwert

Post by Qwert »

No, they're listed right in the main list of directories ... right along with the C: and D: drives. The Network directory is listed separately at the bottom.

But I didn't think to mention that my new laptop is running Windows 8.1 ... where the label for the entire laptop is This PC (at the top ... instead of Computer, as it is in Windows 7).

So, in Windows 8, should the Remove option be used?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are these drives mapped, do they have a drive letter?
Qwert

Post by Qwert »

I've attached a simplified version of what I'm seeing. The "directory" Development(acerw7) is the name of a desktop PC that's connected to the same wireless router my laptop uses. If I click on it, I get Access Denied ... which is correct. Another PC is displayed further down in the tree, but I shorted the PNG for simplicity's sake. I prefer not to see either one listed.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i can't think of anything to help you there, i imagine windows explorer shows the same inaccessible node in its tree?
Qwert

Post by Qwert »

Thanks for your responses. I hadn't looked at it with Windows.

Indeed, it displays the same way in File Explorer (the new name for Windows Explorer in Win8). The best way to get the big picture is to double click on the This PC icon on the desktop. That view clearly shows the directory as a separate device. And Remove Device does work to take the network PC completely out of the picture. (I didn't explore what it might take to get it back.)

I'm attaching a screen capture so that others can clearly see the situation. It's another instance of Windows 8 confusing the situation by adding ambiguous features ... or by presenting an old feature with a new name ("This PC", "File Explorer", etc.). In the future, maybe Xplorer2 can offer a "suppress network drives" as an option.