Virus Protection - Any suggestions

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

Hi everyone :wave:
Ok, mcafee or nortons? Which do you prefer? Or better yet, does anyone know of a free virus protection program?
No, not being cheap :D Like to think of it as frugal :)
Thought there was one on here, but apparently it has expired :eh:. Still have the mcafee that comes free with hotmail but need something else for rest of computer. Any suggestions? Please :bigsmile: Thanks
Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

McAfee and Norton are both good. If you want one of those, shop around and get the one that has the best price. I found a McAfee download for $6.95 last year. Not bad for a program that retails for $40.00. Shop around.

AGV Anti-Virus offers a program at a great price. It’s Free!
You can get it here. http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm
:party:
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

Thank you Sal  :)  I went to the site, and downloaded and installed.  Seems to be ok.   :thumbup:   Feel better now that I have some protection.   :bigsmile:
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Freebie VScans

Post by zippit »

War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

Hi zippit and thank you. :lol:
I will check out the site you suggested. Right now I am using the one Sal suggested long ago in his reply. The AVG one, and it seems to be working great and the price is right....... :wink:
Thanks again
hpp3

Post by hpp3 »

This one works for me
http://www.free-av.com
AntiVir (Free Version) not as pretty as AVG but updates VERY frequently and have no troubles.
Angry_I

Post by Angry_I »

Hi, try Bitdefender Free at http://www.bitdefender.com. It is the best.
Visit aisoft.lx.ro!!!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

For a good report, complete with side-by-side comparisons and ratings of what's available, see the TopTenREVIEWS page on the subject.

Many of the products have free versions ( & Angry_I recommends one of them, in previous post ).
manni

Post by manni »

I'm a very happy user of AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. AVG has been my only antivirus software for years, it has been working perfectly.
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

pa sweetie

Post by zippit »

And the winner is
pa sweetie ?
How about it ?
:roll:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
actuary77

Post by actuary77 »

Your best and #1 virus protection program in the world is not one you can buy at any price.  The number one program is to to not use internet explorer, outlook or any microsoft apps if possible.  

the #1 virus protection program in the world.....

do not support Microsoft!!!!!!!!!

These guys got it bad for ms and dese guys are good, unstoppable, I've heard.  

It kinda like terrorism.  The solution is not to wipe out terrorism by killing the terrorists.  It's like trying to kill the zombies from "Night of the Living Dead."  The problem is not the terrorist, it's the policies and attitudes and actions of the US (for example) that causes persons to resort to terrorist acts out of an incredible hatred and #1 fear.  If you beat da dog, da dog might bite anybody out of fear, even the oldest and most humble of persons.  The dog bites not because da dog is bad, it's because of how it's been treated.  That simple.    

You wanna virus protection, don't pat the master that has beaten the dog.   Hanging out too close to da master will get ya bit.  I don't care what da master says.   Don't use ms products of any kind if can help it. Your chances of getting bit will be far less.    

No stopping 'em. The less ms, the less your chances or getting the crud....  Regardless of the virus protection software, new worms seek out and target vulnerabilities in 99% ms products and are not detectible by even the latest virus protection ware or definitions.   It kinda like athletes and performance enhancing drugs...  the drugs are designed to not be detected by existing methods.

Use mozilla...... or some other open source products for browsing, mail, etc. like heh--   xplorer!!!
________
FIND HEADSHOP
Last edited by actuary77 on 2011 Feb 18, 21:29, edited 3 times in total.
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

agreed

Post by zippit »

hpp3 wrote:This one works for me
http://www.free-av.com
AntiVir (Free Version) not as pretty as AVG but updates VERY frequently and have no troubles.
I just installed this.Free forever.Also has a forum.
http://www.free-av.de/forum.
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
gabour76

Post by gabour76 »

the best anti virus is
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal+ nod32
use the 2 no conflict vgood system
and the best firewall
Look 'n' Stop
=====
may be someone say that im a crazy ..... so just try and tell me what u think
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Kasperski AV may be very good; but it's not even in the top ten in this report for 2006 AV products.  ;)

Bottom line:
There are many excellent products available, but in the end the most important thing is to use one and keep it updated.
gabour76

Post by gabour76 »

fgagnon wrote:Kasperski AV may be very good; but it's not even in the top ten in this report for 2006 AV products.  ;)

Bottom line:
There are many excellent products available, but in the end the most important thing is to use one and keep it updated.
thank you mf but
i want tell you about some thing
1- Kaspersky not in the list ! how can i say he good or bad if he not there in this site
====
2- are you know how many anty virus programs use the search engine Kaspersky
like:
fsecure,dr web,h+bedv,and more..... why ?
====
3-if u want see all test for top 10 anty virus see it:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/index.ht ... rview.html

======

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/def ... =72&mnu=72
8)
2-16 April 2005
     The test was made on 02-16 April 2005, using Windows XP Professional SP1 on a P4 2600 Mhz, 512MB DDRAM.
     All programs tested had the latest versions, upgrades and updates and they were tested using their full scanning capabilities e.g. heuristics, full scan etc. The default settings of each program were not used, in order for each program to achieve its maximum detection rate. Because of this, there is a possibility for the tested programs to detect a few false positives.
     The 91202 virus samples were chosen using VS2000 according to Kaspersky, F-Prot, RAV, Nod32, Dr.Web, Sweep, BitDefender and McAfee antivirus programs. Each virus sample was unique by virus name, meaning that AT LEAST 1 antivirus program detected it as a new unique virus (by virus name).
     ALL virus samples were unpacked and the only samples that were kept were the ones that were packed using external-dos-packers (that means not winzip, winrar, winace etc).
     The virus samples had the correct file extension using a special program (Renexts) and were unique, according to checksum32 filesize.
     Most of the virus samples used were not previously replicated at the time the test was made, which means that some of them, although probably only a few, may be false positives. The procedure of testing each and every virus sample is still under process.
     The program PER was not tested because there was no english demo version available.
     The programs Extendia AVK , BOClean , VET , Titan , RisingAV and Freedom were not tested because there was no demo version available.
   * The program InVircible did not include a "typical" scanner-function and could not be tested.
     The program V-Catch checks only mail accounts and could not be tested.

The following file types were used.

BAT, ΒΙΝ, CLA, CLASS, CLS, COM, CSC, DAT, DOC, ELF, EML, EXE, HLP, HQX, HTA, HTM, IMG, INF, INI, JS, MAC, MDB, MSG, OLE, PHP, PIF, PL, PPT, PRC, REG, SCR, SH, SHS, SMM, STI, TD0, TPU, VBA, VBS, WBT, XLS, XMI, XML.

The virus samples were divided into these categories, according to the type of the virus :

File = BeOS, FreeBSD, Linux, Palm, OS2, Unix, BinaryImage, BAS viruses, MenuetOS viruses.
     MS-DOS = MS-DOS and HLL*. viruses.
     Windows = Win.*.* viruses.
     Macro = Macro and Formula viruses.
     Malware = Adware, DoS, Constructors, Exploit, Flooders, Nukers, Sniffers, Spoofers, Virus Construction Tools, Virus Tools, Droppers, PolyEngines.
     Script = BAT, Corel, HTML, Java, Scripts, VBS, WBS, Worms, PHP, Perl viruses.
     Trojans-Backdoors = Trojan and Backdoor viruses.

Rank

1. Kaspersky Personal Pro version 5.0.20 - 99.28%
http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/def ... =69&mnu=69
=======

======