deskrule .39 final beta

Discussion and support for Desktop Rules and i-DeClone

Moderator: nikos

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

deskrule .39 final beta

Post by nikos »

This is moving faster than I thought... it's ready!
http://www.zabkat.com/test/deskrule_setup.exe (32 bit Release, but x64 coming soon)

the file got bigger because it has the documentation and 4 demo videos onboard.

it also has nag dialogs for registration -- but you cannot buy it yet :)
the free trial procedure is itself being tested, that's why I turned it on. If you don't want to see many nag dialogs just start the program and leave it running

I decided to go with unlimited trial period, only with increasing nags. For more information see the documentation

to spice things up, whoever discovers a reproducible bug will get a free license. That should put some fire in your testing bellies :)

ps. I know there is a problem with the root folder input box icons disappearing, so that doesn't count as a bug discovered
astewart

Re: deskrule .39 final beta

Post by astewart »

If Advanced Search is pinned, turning Simple Mode on/off unpins it. Advanced Search remains pinned through program exit/re-run.

Is the transition to robust search automatic now, rather than the prompt at the end of the file list?

Alan
astewart

Post by astewart »

nikos wrote: the free trial procedure is itself being tested, that's why I turned it on...

I decided to go with unlimited trial period, only with increasing nags...
I didn't see any nags for the first half hour or so . Now I get it every time :( Also, if it's not there every time, shouldn't there be a menu item to bring up registration?

I see the "robust search" prompt just doesn't show after Simple Mode. It's there for Normal Mode.

Alan
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

simple mode turns off advanced mode, because... it wouldn't be simple :)
It also has some peculiarities as you observe, it only uses windows search, there is no backup with robust search. Press F1 for more information on this mode (the manual was largely re-written)

in other search modes, transition to robust is automatic only when there are no results found during the fast search

to avoid nags as i said just leave deskrule running
astewart

Post by astewart »

nikos wrote: trial period, only with increasing nags

simple mode turns off advanced mode, because... it wouldn't be simple :)

to avoid nags as i said just leave deskrule running
Nags increasing immediately to 100% :lol:

Simple doesn't just turn Advanced off, it un-pins it, making a small nuisance in going from Simple to re-pinned Advanced. Advanced undocked works better, since it's still "open".

Invoking deskrule from the xplorer2 context menu launches a new instance of deskrule. If you don't close it, you have deskrule running all over the place, or you need to remember to preserve at least one, to be nag free. Regardless of nags, can you add an option to NOT open a new instance deskrule?

Alan
astewart

Post by astewart »

nikos wrote: Press F1 for more information on this mode (the manual was largely re-written)

It also has some peculiarities as you observe, it only uses windows search, there is no backup with robust search
I'm not nagging, but a couple of nits about the manual:

The bullet title for Simple Mode says "Plain Mode"

The text under the Normal Mode bullet says "plain search mode"

The footnote for this section says "The simple mode relies heavily on windows search index".
"Only" is a bit stronger than "heavily", which sounds like the possibility of something else occuring.

Alan
astewart

Post by astewart »

astewart wrote: Simple doesn't just turn Advanced off, it un-pins it, making a small nuisance in going from Simple to re-pinned Advanced.
Going in to and out of Simple Mode also resets Normal Mode to the default search box template, requiring a custom template to be re-selected. Exit and re-run retains the template selection.

Simple isn't so simple unless you stay there. I like having that mode, but I think I'll be jumping out frequently when it doesn't quite do the trick and having to set up my interface again.

Alan
astewart

Post by astewart »

If you find a file like a .pdf with search by name, the preview shows full "native" pdf. If you search by contents, it shows "draft" text only, with the search hit highlighted. That's great, but there is no way to switch the preview between draft and native like xplorer², after a search, so you could view native or Ctrl-F search for something else.

Alan
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks for the testing, I guess you've won yourself a free licens :party:
regarding the plain/normal mode switch, I should add something that defines your own default boxes, so you won't have to click too many buttons

as for the nags, leave one window running and then close the 2nd one you launch from xplorer2 or in any other way. These all are considered a single process.
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Hi,
What about pricing and lifetime updates? I'll probably go for it (both for interenting software and supporting developer).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

It looks like all similar programs sell at $50. I was thinking about $40 as this is a newcomer. I haven't decided if I'm going to sell free lifetime upgrades for this
sanferno wrote:I'll probably go for it (both for interenting software and supporting developer).

:beer: