Indexing

Discussion and support for Desktop Rules and i-DeClone

Moderator: nikos

stewcam

Indexing

Post by stewcam »

There is a lot to like in DeskRule. The thing that holds me back is the reliance on Windows indexing, which I normally disable to improve performance. I would like to see an option to build a DeskRule index in a user specified location.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Indexing

Post by nikos »

what's the point losing the system index and having it replaced by a deskrule one? Note that deskrule does work without indexing but searches will take longer
stewcam

Post by stewcam »

I am simply suggesting that for those of us who avoid Windows indexing it would be nice to have a DeskRule native alternative. I have tried DeskRule search without indexing, which is predictably relatively slow. I mainly use search in a work environment on a portable drive, so being able to use a custom index in a selected location is very handy. DeskRule has some great features that make it stand out, but it is up against some excellent utilities which offer an unbeatable (nul) price!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i take it you are talking about "everything" (see the comparison table in the website). This only searches for filenames and nothing else. It is a completely different kind of tool
stewcam

Post by stewcam »

Yes, I was thinking about Everything but also other free utilities such as UltraSearch, HDDB, MasterSeeker and Locate. DeskRule does offer more than these tools, as they can only search by name, size and date (Everything by name only). However, they allow the user to select index location. As far as searching by attributes, there is the shareware tool FileLocator (Lite and Pro editions). The attribute set is much smaller than DeskRule but content search is more sophisticated. I am trialling DeskRule but up till now am finding it too expensive to justify the additional benefits.
railshot

Post by railshot »

Lack of native index also puts me off. I have about 1TB worth of various documents that are kept on a NAS that I use Copernicus to search. I don't believe I can configure Windows Index to scan a NAS, so DeskRule won't be much help in my case.
slinger

Post by slinger »

Hi.

I am new here, but like the simplicity (and power) of the product. However, I have the same problem of not being able to use it with my NAS. Also, is it possible to have it read the contents of my Outlook .pst files or perhaps Outlook in general? If not, any plans on integrating this?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

at present deskrule relies on windows index. In the future, either the windows index may extend itself to NAS or I will write something to cover the gap.

deskrule was designed for files only. Outlook has a very good search engine which I don't think requires any mending
slinger

Post by slinger »

nikos wrote:at present deskrule relies on windows index. In the future, either the windows index may extend itself to NAS or I will write something to cover the gap.

deskrule was designed for files only. Outlook has a very good search engine which I don't think requires any mending

Thank you Nikos,

Looking forward to see what more will come. I found a link to a list of possible tools that might help with my specific problem (I haven't tried any yet). I really would like just one tool for all my searches, and I don't like the way Outlook makes me go through my list of emails based on date only. I mean... I get around 150 emails in my inbox every day, and a search in Outlook takes me 15 seconds to propagate a result, with minutes of scrolling through the result list.

Anyways, I will go through that list of tools and see if any of them can help me.... fingers crossed. If anyone else want to do the same, and it is ok for me to point to this list? http://www.slipstick.com/addins/product ... sonal-use/