computer question - downloads

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

Ok, have a question about downloads.  May sound dumb, but I am still somewhat illiterate when it comes to computers.  When you download a program and then install it, can you delete the download without affecting the program?  thanks :confused:  :)
Smokie

Post by Smokie »

in most cases you can.   but why would you want to?  the downloaded file is your best back-up.
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

thanks smokie, good point.  just thought it was a way to clear up some space.  :)
Charm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Charm »

can anyone direct me on how to delete cookies.. did i once but i forgot the path i took :confused:
susie

Post by susie »

Hi Char, I had Sal show me how today. Click on the Start button. Highlight and click on Windows Explorer. Scroll down and click on the Windows folder. Click on the Cookies folder and delete everything in it but the file 'index.dat'. After that scroll down further and click on a folder called Temporary Internet Files. In there you will see files that look like cookie:user@.... You can delete these also. Hope this helps....:)
Charm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Charm »

susie thanks a million...i had 200 cookies and in temp. folders for icq i had 989... omg :o
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

Thanks susie for replying to Charm's question, used the information too.  But one more question.  Under windows just above temp internet files, is a folder labeled temp.  Can the files in there be deleted too?  Have several with icq in front of them and musical ones.  Feel free to step in and help too if you like.  Thanks all  :confused:  :)
Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

The temp files can be deleted.
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

oh wow, he still helps...lol.  Thanks Sal.  I know I shouldn't ask, but are you sure?  Some look kind of important. Thanks again.  :)
Charm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Charm »

sweetie i know what you mean some of them look important..can you open the ones your not sure of then take it from there.. i havn't had a chance to get back in and work on it yet.  once they are deleted they go to the recycle bin, by emptying the bin does that get rid of them for good?  :confused:  as usual..lmao  HELP
Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

You should not click to open files that are in the temp folder. Some of those files are executable programs left behind from downloads or installations. Clicking on them may produce undesirable results.
The Temp folder is used for temporary files. They can be deleted.

When you download a program, you place it in a folder or on your desktop, which is like a folder. Then you click to install it. Some programs are designed to use the temp folder and install themselves. Or they need extra space during installation and they use the temp folder for that. They should automatically delete from the temp folder after install. However, many times they do not or they leave pieces behind. Therefore, you end up with the leftovers of installation packages in your temp folder. If you never cleaned it out, you will likely find many files and empty folders in there. They are all remains of installations. The best thing to do with remains is to throw them out. :biggrin:
Sup

Post by Sup »

I would delete them. It's just dead weight.
And empty the recycling bin. Who want's trash around. Yuck :yuck:
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

Charm, yes emptying the recycle bin gets rid of everything in it for good.  Thanks Sal, now I can clear up some more space, and have a better understanding, if you can believe that, lol.  What would I do without you, :wink:  Hi Sup, welcome.  :) :cool:
Charm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Charm »

thanks bunches..looks like i'll be busy for a while..lol.. glad i didn't try and open them...and yes sup .... ill empty the trash.. i was just afraid i had put some things in there that i wanted back..but i guess its like cleaning out the closet if your not using it trash it..:biggrin:
F4x4

Post by F4x4 »

I have a computer question, hope someone can help.  I have a new hard drive, after I install the software for the hard drive, I install the software for the CD rom, and can not get the CD rom to work.  Any suggestions?  It is a 30 gig maxtor and a memorex 48x rom.  Thanks  :) :confused: