Fast "Open with"?

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

phshannon

Fast "Open with"?

Post by phshannon »

Opening a file in a different program from usual is slow. E.g. an image opens in IrfanView normally, but this time I want to open it in Paint: right-click on the filename — navigate with the mouse down to "Open with" — navigate right then down to "Paint" — click.

Is there a faster way, such as setting up a keyboard shortcut? Ideally, I want to navigate to the filename with the keyboard then press e.g. Shift-Ctrl-P.

Xplorer Lite 2.4.0.1, W7.

Many thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fast "Open with"?

Post by nikos »

if you consider that each file type has different "open with" verbs that good idea is impossible to implement
phshannon

Post by phshannon »

No keyboard shortcuts at the moment? I.e., set Shift-Ctrl-P to mean "Attempt to open with Paint".

Or any ideas for a work-around?
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

phshannon wrote:No keyboard shortcuts at the moment? I.e., set Shift-Ctrl-P to mean "Attempt to open with Paint".

Or any ideas for a work-around?
@phshannon - Maybe you could use Nir Sofer's File Types Manager to set different verbs for different programs, and then use AHK or PTFB to provide the kb short.

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
phshannon

Post by phshannon »

@RightPaddock thanks for the suggestion.

It seems that FileTypesManager can be used to add an item to the context menu (mouse right-click), and AHK (which I already use) can set up hot keys, automate mouse movements, clicking etc. But I want to choose a file with the keyboard and open it in a second-choice program, without using the mouse: is this also possible?
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

phshannon wrote:@RightPaddock thanks for the suggestion.

It seems that FileTypesManager can be used to add an item to the context menu (mouse right-click), and AHK (which I already use) can set up hot keys, automate mouse movements, clicking etc. But I want to choose a file with the keyboard and open it in a second-choice program, without using the mouse: is this also possible?
To be sure I understand what you want to accomplish, I'll restate it: Open a program using the keyboard, but use an alternate program than the program defined by the "open" verb for that filetype.

If that's correct, then the pieces to this puzzle are already above. It's the arrangement that needs help.

Here's what I did to accomplish what I stated above (tested on both XP and Win 7):
Using FileTypesManager I added a new verb to a file type, in this case ".log", named it "&AltOpen", and set the command line to open with Notepad, since my default text editor is NOT notepad. Putting the "&" in front of the "A" in the name defines "A" as the shortcut key for this verb.

Now this alternate program is available via the context menu by pressing the context menu key (usually between the right-alt and right-ctrl) and the letter "A". Change the above to suit you needs and the alternative opening hot key to whatever letter will not interfere with other hot keys.

---------------------------
PJ in (hot) FL