browse compressed archives - now final!

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: browse compressed archives - now final!

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...and those weird ones that list contents but need password to extract will be a bit more obvious in this upcoming release
Apparently we have different definitions of what "a bit more obvious" actually means. :wink: For example, in your world it means "exactly as it was before", whereas in mine it means "Oh, a password prompt! Wow, who woulda-thunk-it?"

<Sigh> :cry:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

look, i'm greek and under duress... passwords will be dealt with another day when the european forces are more friendly to poor sods :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Ever since that Mayan Calendar thing about the end of the world fell through in 2012, I've noticed that you've been really lackadaisical about your future predictions. You just need one good home-run to get back your vim and vigour, and all will be right with the world. This Zeus vs. the IMF thing is too big for you to solve, so take baby-steps. Passwords would be a great place to start (especially when the econo-archaeologists show up to look at your books once the dust settles). They would greatly appreciate your perseverance. :D
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Hi!

Just wanted to mention that, after a "dirty update" from W7 to 10, 7z NSE doesn't seem to be working with RAR files. As I use a Spanish localized Windows, the error spotted could be translated to English as: "Could not run this app on this system, please contact with software editor" (mommy always told me to obey).

:bigsmile:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

try installing it again. windows 10 have a new way to associate extensions to files (ask kilmatead! )
does it work for 7z files?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Do not ask Kilmatead - like any Templar worth his faded footprints in the sands of the Holy Land, he hates everything that's new, shiny, and popularised by nothing but propaganda. :wink:

Uninstall 7zNSE and reinstall it, then you have to follow the menu-instructions outlined in this post/rant:
Kilmatead reluctantly wrote:...the message one does get (on Win10) is rather vague as it only says "go to Settings -> System -> Default Apps". It neglects to mention the extra steps of then selecting "Set defaults by app", finding "SevenZipFolder" in the list and clicking it, and finally selecting "Choose defaults for this program".
Win10 does not allow shortcuts to be given directly to the necessary menu items, and it also forces the user to select the associations they want manually. It goes out of its way to prevent programmes from changing these settings, so automating the process is difficult and the menu browsing remains as Byzantine as ever. :shrug:
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

You're right Nikos, we have to give credit to Kilmatead this time. Now it works smooth.

"K", if I could reward you with something, as you said on the other post, I've found a shortcut to the classic control panel thanks to sweet Cortana (simply searching Control panel)

:baaa:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it's not just us, everyone's moaning about win10 defaults :)
http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/30/90764 ... -complaint
ddsl

Post by ddsl »

Hi nikos,
I'm experiencing problems with 7z NSE on Windows Server 2012 R2, which is basically Windows 8.1.
When I'm trying to extract a file from an compressed archive, an error is raised:
0x80110414: The identity or password set on the application is not valid.

Screenshot here: http://s27.postimg.org/caufbgj69/2015_08_26_15_45.png
Any ideas?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

is the archive protected by a password? Try it with 7z stand-alone executable. At present passwords are not supported with this NSE