Erratic file display

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

orplid

Erratic file display

Post by orplid »

Hi,

I have a strange problem with xplorer2 lite (2.5.0.4 and 3.0.0.4) which is (at least for me) quite unbelievable and which makes it hard for me to trust xplorer2 any longer (because xplorer2 is the minory in my case, sorry ;-).

I'm displaying the folder "C:\Windows\System32\oobe" in Windows 7 Ultimate 64 .
Clipboard01.jpg shows what xplorer2 displays and Cipboard02.jpg is what SpeedCommander and Windows Explorer display for the SAME folder (both as User and as Administrator). Moreover the folders de_DE and en_US are empty in xplorer2 and full off files with other file managers and Windows Explorer. But the craziest experience is that the folder "Temp" created in xplorer2 is shown ONLY in xplorer2 while the folder "Temp1" created in SpeedCommander is shown ONLY in SpeedCommander and Windows Explorer.

I know that Windows permissions sometimes produce a lot of mistery behind the scenes, but this is too much for me. Does somebody have a useful explanation?
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
Thank you
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Erratic file display

Post by nikos »

you should be using an 64 bit file manager if your windows is 64 bit. Here's the xplorer2 64 bit version
www.zabkat.com/x2-64bit.htm (free trial)
orplid

Post by orplid »

Hi Nikos,

this explanation was too easy for me ;-) I wasn't aware of the fact that I HAVE TO use a 64-bit version for a 64-bit OS. I expected xplorer2 lite to refuse installation on a 32 -bit OS if the display won't be correct.

Thank you
o
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

You do not actually "have to" use an x64 File Manager, but it does make things easier, especially when it comes to shell extensions. For a slightly more detailed explanation as to why your files seem to go missing (but really don't), please see this thread.

The more technically inquisitive users may ask, "But why not use Wow64DisableWow64FsRedirection? That would solve everything!" The answer is that it's only intended for short-term use (when a process actually requires such access), and will otherwise interfere with DLL loading.

The more pressing problem (from a filesystem perspective) is that x86 shell extensions won't work on x64 file-managers which is usually the first sign to a user that something isn't kosher.

The reason x2 lite is allowed to install (though it does provide a non-specific warning for x64 users) is that it's intended more as an extended trial-version of x2, rather than an all-purpose freebie. :wink: You'll note that it's also not unicode-enabled, so (for example) if you had your heart set on using files named "Λάθος.txt", you'd find yourself looking at a lot of "?????.txt" files instead.
orplid

Post by orplid »

Hi Kilmatead,

thank you very much for your elaborate reply. It's long ago that I learned so much by a mistake (well, kind of...)

Thanks again
Orplid