testimonials

Discussion and support for Desktop Rules and i-DeClone

Moderator: nikos

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

testimonials

Post by nikos »

If you are happy using deskrule you can help promote the program if you send me an email with your genuine testimonial about why you like the program (short and simple :) ). These will then appear in the website
thanks
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: testimonials

Post by sanferno »

Hi!

You know? I was thinking to do so about xplorer2 for the next 30th of November, since I have bought two years ago the program. I will do it for DeskRule also.

Both are good and practical software. I do also admire your programming skills, so you deserve it.

:beer:
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

sanferno wrote:I do also admire your programming skills
You don't know the code. :twisted:
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Who cares as long as the tools are useful? :)
alice_in_wonderland.jpg
By the way, Nikos, if it is not an inquisitive question, you develop x2 and DR using Visual C++, don't you? :roll:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

sanferno wrote:Who cares as long as the tools are useful?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sanferno wrote:you develop x2 and DR using Visual C++, don't you?
yes
right now I'm doing something unique for deskrule, you can have arbitrary location rules like 2*size > (size on disk) + 3*(number of streams)
more on that later
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

nikos wrote:
sanferno wrote:you develop x2 and DR using Visual C++, don't you?
yes
I have been struggling with that during last year, I have read a lot too, but I can't find a clear answer to the question, should I focus in learning C++ and combine it with VC++ for UI, or stick with C# since I do not have that much legacy code? I know this is a breakdown in this topic, but once the pit is open...

Kilmatead:
coal_miner.jpg
Comrades! Years ago those were criticised too but, thanks to them, we were warmer in our houses! :baaa:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

should you be drinking wine or beer? probably both ;)
if you ask kilmatead he'd say assembler and all the rest are for gurlz
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

If you actually asked Kilmatead he would say use anything but C#. That's just Microsoft's version of Java where you won't "learn" anything, and you'll be forever tied to .NET crap you can't deconstruct. Rubbish for kids, that is.

When learning UI stuff (for Windows), keep in mind that everything (be it MFC or .NET or whatever) all use the Win32API at the end of the day. Do they make it slightly "easier"? Yes they do. But can they do anything the API cannot? No they can't. And the API is free.

Keep in mind that "Visual C++" is just a name for the IDE - "Visual" is just MS's pseudo-brand name - there's nothing special about it, except astonishing amounts of bloat. Nice IDE though. MS do not own or control any aspect of C++.

That said, Bjarne Stroustrup is a ninny (and I'm not the only one to think so). :D
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

MS do not own or control any aspect of C++.
I understand you would suggest me to get a good knowledge of C++ (which I also think is really interesting) and, from that point, when it's necessary use other language, correct?

I love "cmd style" programs for its quickness. You develop, then compile, and finally execute directly without flapping around with GUI. Being said that, we all can be agree in the benefits of GUI. The thing for me is that I have not found a good reference or learning book to been able to develop in C++ and, if needed, have a GUI (in my case 99,99% of the times in Windows).
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

nikos wrote:should you be drinking wine or beer? probably both ;)
Whiskey, of course.

I'm pretty sure that there is a purpose for every language, except Java. Java has no purpose. A file manager, however, should use a couple of system APIs. That narrows it down.

C# has AlphaFS. Kilmatead should be surprised.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:I'm pretty sure that there is a purpose for every language
Malbolge. End of story. It exists pretty much only to do your head in. Yes, you. Personally. :wink: I mean, who couldn't love a language based on something literally called Brainfuck? Not only does it legitimately allow you to swear in public, but it takes poor nikos' innocent threads so off-track that you just have to giggle.

As to the "purpose of every language"... ever since I was a kid and learned C, I never saw a reason for other languages to exist. Considering they are mostly all written in C in the first place, why not just write whatever you want this "language" to do in C yourself? Seems kinda silly. Sure, I learned Pascal in the day, and Ada (someone once said it was the up-and-coming thing, but it fizzled and went bump in the night instead), and Cobol and even punched around some Fortran. But once I discovered C, I was like, "I can now die happy, and all humans are fools".
Tuxman wrote:C# has AlphaFS. Kilmatead should be surprised.
Oh boy, long pathnames, and hard-links. Cutting edge, that is. So, like, these kids don't know how to use the WinAPI stuff that's already there (and has been for decades), they need to repackage it just to celebrate their own inanity? Kilmatead is surprised all right, surprised no one seems to have the cop-on to know a scam when they see one. :shrug:

I don't have anything against C# personally - if people want to use it, more power to them. What I don't like is the educational lobotomy that goes with it. You won't learn squat about programming, but you will learn an awful lot about running around looking through about a thousand functions for the one you want, and leave the church at the end of the day no wiser as to how that function actually works. C# seems to be the anti-education language.
sanferno wrote:I understand you would suggest me to get a good knowledge of C++
Simple philosophy: if you learn the hardest thing first, everything after that is going to be chocolate cake. C++ is not the hardest thing, but nor is it the easiest - I personally think C (no "++") is all anyone really needs, but I'm weirdly retro that way. But C++ is not a bad foundation to work with, as it makes other stuff look like snowflakes.
sanferno wrote:The thing for me is that I have not found a good reference or learning book to been able to develop in C++ and, if needed, have a GUI (in my case 99,99% of the times in Windows)
Learn by doing, not by reading. You got yourself a PHD in real life, so you're already ahead of the game. Except programming is more about imagination, surprise, and elegance than it is about academic study. So, just go out and find some code that looks interesting, and rip it to shreds figuring out what it does and why someone did it that way.

Doing GUI stuff in WinAPI doesn't require a book - it's all free and there for the taking, in any language. The internet is full of simple examples of how to create a simple GUI, and that's where you start. If you want to get all hung up on proprietary stuff like MFC and all that - go ahead - but at least learning the API will give you a hint as to why all these other frameworks exist and how they work. Again, learn the hardest thing first, and it's all downhill from there. :D
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:As to the "purpose of every language"... ever since I was a kid and learned C, I never saw a reason for other languages to exist. Considering they are mostly all written in C in the first place, why not just write whatever you want this "language" to do in C yourself? Seems kinda silly. Sure, I learned Pascal in the day, and Ada (someone once said it was the up-and-coming thing, but it fizzled and went bump in the night instead), and Cobol and even punched around some Fortran. But once I discovered C, I was like, "I can now die happy, and all humans are fools".
My next desktop project will be based on Lisp and have a Fortran-based blog and a COBOL-based website. Just because of all the fun I have playing with ancient technologies.
(That's not fair. COBOL and Fortran are still being developed. But that's not the point.)

Also, I'm working on a Gopher browser for Android.

Take that, modern world.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:My next desktop project will be based on Lisp...
Lisp... isn't that... the one... oh, god... there's a black worm in my brain... Parenthephobia! I knew there was a reason I should have stayed in bed this morning. That syntax is just goofy.
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Whoa! Thanks Kilmatead, I love verbose readings, especially when they have interesting contents. I'm sure I will read your response more than once. Definitely I'll give Windows API a try and, though it seems hard, I have spent this year learning the basics of C++ which has lead me to understand certain things of .NET's most used languages.

Although I have a PHD, as you know, we are always newbies. The good thing is the fact of facing new learning challenges that improve your professional skills and, moreover, if you do it also for pleasure.

Thanks!