Networking Windows NT4 and WIN 98 PCs - Network neighborhood doesn't show all PC

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

We have a work-group-based LAN, consisting of PCs with Windows 98. (There is no domain controller.) They show erratic list of PCs in their Network Neighborhood.

Typical problems are:
1. Some of the PCs do not appear on the network Neighbohood list. After some time, when the display is refreshed, some of these "missing" PCs will randomly re-appear and some others will go "missing".
2. Only some of the "missing" PCs can be found using the "Find computer" feature of windows; while others do not respond to "Find computer".
3. We can ping the IP address of ALL the "missing" PCs. The ping response time is very good in all cases.
4. The network contains multiple workgroups. But there is no pattern in the "missing" PCs: PCs from the same workgroup also may be missing.
5. Most of the PCs are connected to a single hub, with some PCs connected via another hub. Again, there is no pattern here.
6. When I connect my Windows NT 4 PC to the LAN, the same behavior continues.

There is no domain controller involved (only work-groups). All PCs are configured with NetBUI protocol.

Any ideas as to why this happens?
* Is some setting wrong?
* What settings can be tried out to overcome this problem?
* Is there any utility to make sure that all PCs are accessible?
pmf

Post by pmf »

Haven't tried it myself, but this app could perhaps help. Or check the site.