Viruses

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Has anyones system been detecting alot of worm type viruses in the past few weeks, or is it just me.

I've been getting 2 to 3 per week!
Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

I would get calls from people thinking they had a virus because of the way that their system was acting. Computer system that is.. lol Anyway, all I would find was an adjustment that needed to be made. Not anymore. This last year I ran into many viruses. The virus problem is very bad and getting worse all the time. I hate to say it but anyone that uses the Net needs to have virus protection software. The good news is, I found a deal on McAfee software for &#367.59. It is a download from buy.com. The address is http://www.us.buy.com/retail....oc=9311
Price and link was good at the time that this was posted. I hope that helps. :)
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

I personaly use Norton 2000.

Every once in a while things hang up when receiving E-mail. (The little computer icon doesn't blink) If I check the status, it may say receiving message 3 of 10. I would contact my server and question who message 3 was from, then have them delete it.

I did find another way around the problem. Temporarily turn off the E-mail protection, then once all the messages have been received, delete the message in question.

I have also found another potential problem. People with Webtv, apparently don't have any kind of protection and they just spread the viruses around.
Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

There sure are a lot of problems and it keeps getting worse. Anyone that wants to keep their data intact and not have a repair bill to boot needs a virus protection program. I think that both Norton and McAfee are good. I have run into more systems that have program conflicts with Norton than McAfee but there is usually a work around. Either of the two is a lot better than nothing. LOL
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

thanks sal, gonna check out that program, the price is right.  :)
susie

Post by susie »

I just bought that program myself and plan to keep it updated. I have cousins in Md who had to take their 'puter' to the 'puter doctor' because it had a virus. It wasn't covered under their health insurance(LOL) and cost them about &#36100.00 to get it fixed plus the time they had to put into it to restore lost data. It really made me think how easy it would be to get a virus!!
Sup

Post by Sup »

That is a good point Susie. Remember to keep it updated. There are new viruses everyday. If the program is not updated it won’t do any good against new viruses. :)
susie

Post by susie »

Don't you wish we could buy a program that would keep 'us' from getting viruses. :biggrin:
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

wow susie, what a great idea.  someday maybe :)
that is the reason I use hotmail, they have a macafee program in it, so each time you open an attatchment in email it scans it for viruses first, and it is free.  :cheesy:
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

Oh btw Sal, visited the site, and they said it was no longer available at buy.com.  :(  Have any other good buys on virus programs you can share please  :)
Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

It is still there if you click on the virus link it shows all of them. The new link is http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.as ... 1&loc=9311
The bad news is that it is now &#3617.69. Still cheaper than retail but not as good as the original price. Why did you wait? There may be better deals around. Just have to shop around.
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

Cause I'm a procrastinator that's why.  Thanks again, I will check it out.  :)
Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

Free Antivirus Program!!

For those of you that do not want to spend twenty to forty dollars for virus protection, this one is free. They also provide software and virus signature updates free! Remember to update the virus signature at least once a week.
Here is the link. http://antivirus.cai.com/
Don't forget to come back and tell us what you think of it. :)
Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

Another Free Antivirus Program!!

Aladdin's eSafe Desktop content protection suite for PCs guards users against viruses, vandals, data exposure, and inappropriate content.
eSafe Desktop is FREE for home users including all virus table updates, and provides:.

ICSA-certified anti-virus
Anti-vandal sandbox protection
Internet content filtering
Resource protection

eSafe Desktop has been awarded PC Magazine's Editor's Choice award for two consecutive years, as well as PC Magazine's Best Internet Product of 1999. Download your free copy of eSafe Desktop today!
http://www.ealaddin.com/