Post by nikos » 2020 Jul 19, 09:34

here's the comment area for today's blog post found here
http://zabkat.com/blog/folder-reading-speed.htm

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: blog: large folder speed

Post by pschroeter » 2020 Jul 23, 05:39

Here’s something I don’t understand. I spend most of my time in the Documents folder and if I have Details view and Calculate folder size on I guess it’s reasonable to expect a short lag the first time I open it. What I don’t understand is why if I navigate into a subfolder, and I then navigate back to Documents why that lag still exists, even though I haven’t made any changes. I am surprised most of these folder size calculations aren’t happening in the background.

I will say earlier this month I switched from a mechanical hard drive to a solid state drive and my situation has vastly improved. I now actually leave calculate folder size on most of the time. I’ve been obsessed with getting a speedy folder size column in Windows for decades because the Apple Macintosh computer I had 25 years ago with System 7.6 did it rather nicely and Windows still seems to have problems doing it. I also very fondly remember you could customize any icon in the Finder by just opening up the file’s properties dialog and paste a new image into the icon box.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos » 2020 Jul 23, 06:14

xplorer2 folder size isn't cached, so every time it's calculated afresh. If you want something smarter see this shell extension
www.zabkat.com/blog/23Aug09-folder-size.htm

Manyx

Post by Manyx » 2020 Jul 26, 15:16

"The only consolation is that folders containining under 10000 files are not really affected."
In details mode: the icons are sometimes very long to appears (between 1 and 2 seconds), in folders with a few folders and a few files, and 5 seconds for 36 files.PDF

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos » 2020 Jul 26, 17:47

the icons appear lazily, you don't have to wait to see the icons before starting to use the folder