Integration with Stream Deck?

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

veritas

Integration with Stream Deck?

Post by veritas »

First of all I have to express my immense gratitude for xplorer2. I spent a decade looking for this kind of utility, and was compelled to use very inferior products until I discovered it back around 2012. I've been using the Ultimate version ever since.

I use a Stream Deck as my primary productivity tool. It would be wonderful if xplorer2 could cooperate with Stream Deck. In particular, I would love to be able to hit buttons on Stream Deck and open specific folders in xplorer2.

Previously I tried this method, but it opens an Explorer folder rather than in xplorer2. I've also tried using the Stream Deck BarRaider plugin, which has an open folder command, which works thus.
1. Open up Windows Explorer and go to the directory you want to store

2. While Explorer is the active window, Long Press this Stream Deck key until the name of the directory is shown

3. Now short press every time you want to see that directory

4. Repeat steps 1-2 every time you want to modify the directory stored
It's a little clunky to set up bit it actually works, sort of. It opens the folder in xplorer2, but in an entirely new instance of xplorer2, with the default layout rather than my preferred layout. By the way if there's any way to edit or just plain delete the default layout that would be great.

Now it might be that I just need to tinker under xplorer2's hood to make it work with one of these established methods, but proper cooperation with Stream Deck and xplorer2 would be preferable. I can imagine many Stream Deck users would be interested in an xplorer2 plugin.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Integration with Stream Deck?

Post by johngalt »

Since you're on Ultimate, do you need access to Windows Explorer, otherwise Xplorer² has the ability to replace Windows Explorer as the default file manager, and you can also enable a setting to allow single use folders to open a new instance of Xplorer².

See https://www.zabkat.com/blog/replace-explorer-2.5.htm

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I don't know how this system works but yet another possibility would be to use a command line to open xplorer2 at a particular location eg
xplorer2_64.exe "c:\path to\folder"
veritas

Post by veritas »

Thanks for your help.
johngalt wrote: 2022 Sep 07, 20:15Since you're on Ultimate, do you need access to Windows Explorer, otherwise Xplorer² has the ability to replace Windows Explorer as the default file manager,
I have this set already, which is why when I press the Stream Deck button, using the BarRaider present, it opens my folder in Xplorer². However, it opens it in an entirely new instance of Xplorer², which is what I don't want, instead of a new tab or currently used tab in my currently open instance of Xplorer², which is what I do want.
johngalt wrote: 2022 Sep 07, 20:15and you can also enable a setting to allow single use folders to open a new instance of Xplorer².
I want to avoid opening a new instance of Xplorer² when I open a new folder. I want to press a button and open a specific folder in a currently open tab in my currently open instance of Xplorer², and every time I hit a different button I open a different folder, in that same tab.

Does Xplorer² have a way to program a macro, assigned to a keyboard shortcut, which will open a specific folder in a currently open tab in a currently open instance? Thanks.

Edit: I love the miniscrap window, since I can use it for quick double-click access to my favorite folders, which it opens in my currently active tab, without opening a new instance or new tab. Since the miniscrap window can already do what I want, there must be a way to take the next step and connect that to a keyboard shortcut instead of a double click on a folder in miniscrap, surely? Once it's a keyboard shortcut, I can open it with a Stream Deck button.
Last edited by veritas on 2022 Sep 09, 09:24, edited 2 times in total.
veritas

Post by veritas »

nikos wrote: 2022 Sep 08, 06:08 I don't know how this system works but yet another possibility would be to use a command line to open xplorer2 at a particular location eg
xplorer2_64.exe "c:\path to\folder"
That seems like it would open a completely new instance of Xplorer2, whereas I want to stay in my current instance and hit buttons to open folders in my currently open tabs.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

use TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS menu and search for "single window" to turn on the single window xplorer2 mode
veritas

Post by veritas »

nikos wrote: 2022 Sep 09, 11:59 use TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS menu and search for "single window" to turn on the single window xplorer2 mode
I've already tried both the "Always use one window" setting, and the "Always open new tabs in a single window". Either way, it just opens a new instance of Xplorer2, with the default layout. By the way, am I correct in thinking that it's not possible to either edit or delete the default layout?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

these advanced settings are layout specific. If you are using a different layout, things get complicated
you can use the layout selector in the advanced settings dialog (near the top) to choose the layout name to edit
or more simply, do all your modifications and customizations to the DEFAULT layout so you don't need to worry about extra command line switches. For more information see here
www.zabkat.com/blog/window-layouts.htm
veritas

Post by veritas »

Thanks for all the ongoing help, I really appreciate it.
nikos wrote: 2022 Sep 10, 05:49these advanced settings are layout specific.
Yes, so when I went into the advanced options, I was careful to select my preferred layout and set the options the way I wanted. Even when set to "Always use one window", when I use the Stream Deck BarRaider plugin it just opens a completely new instance of x2. I am guessing this is something to do with the way BarRaider works rather than x2, so I need another option.
nikos wrote: 2022 Sep 10, 05:49If you are using a different layout, things get complicated
you can use the layout selector in the advanced settings dialog (near the top) to choose the layout name to edit
or more simply, do all your modifications and customizations to the DEFAULT layout so you don't need to worry about extra command line switches. For more information see here
www.zabkat.com/blog/window-layouts.htm
I have been through that page several times. I spent a long time setting up the Default layout, and saving the settings. When I opened x2 again, the Default layout was exactly as it had been upon original install, without any of my changes saved. This is why I eventually switched to making my own layouts. I tried creating a new layout and saving it as "Default", but upon closing and opening x2 to see if the changes had taken place, I found they hadn't; again the Default layout was exactly as it had been upon original install, without any of my changes saved. It doesn't seem possible to make any changes to the Default layout.

So right now I have a StreamDeck button which opens x2 with my preferred layout, and that works just fine. I would love to extend this further and find a way to open individual folders in individual tabs, and tie them to a shortcut which I can then link to Stream Deck. Is there a way to write a macro to open a specific folder in an already open tab? If I could do that, then I could link that macro to a Stream Deck button and it would give me exactly what I want.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there is no reason why the default layout won't save and extra layouts will... perhaps you didn't turn on "save settings on exit" option?
as for your problem launching, make sure you are using the correct /S: layout name and NOT using /P command line switch
veritas

Post by veritas »

nikos wrote: 2022 Sep 11, 10:18 there is no reason why the default layout won't save and extra layouts will... perhaps you didn't turn on "save settings on exit" option?
It's on. It has always been on. But I'm doing a re-install and updating to the latest version of x2 to see if that makes a difference.
as for your problem launching, make sure you are using the correct /S: layout name and NOT using /P command line switch
I am using the /S: [layout name] switch. However I just figured out there was an unnecessary space which was messing everything up.

* "C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2_ult\xplorer2_64.exe" /M /S: main < doesn't work

* "C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2_ult\xplorer2_64.exe" /M /S:main < works

So now I use this with Stream Deck, so when I hit the Stream Deck button it automatically opens x2 with my preferred layout.

* "C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2_ult\xplorer2_64.exe" /M /S:main

And not only that, but once that opens in my preferred layout, I can hit a Stream Deck button with this shortcut to take me to a preferred folder inside an already open tab in my already open instance of x2.

* "C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2_ult\xplorer2_64.exe" /M /S:main "I:\[folder name]"

This doesn't use Bar Raider, it just uses Stream Deck's built in "System:Open" function. So I have finally solved it. I can now program Stream Deck buttons to open specific folders inside an already open tab in my already open instance of x2. This is a game changer for me, and greatly extends the usefulness of x2. Thank you for all your patient assistance.