Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

mjbrookes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: new version under way

Post by mjbrookes »

request/suggestion:-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your sneek-peek feature is great, but what about adding some customisable extras, eg

add some mouse button options to Customise keyboard list.
mouse wheel --> command ####
mouse wheel + right mouse button --> command ####
mouse wheel + left mouse button --> command ####
right + left mouse button --> command #### ( to override sneek-peek)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
please add to "Customise Keyboard"
the option to Toggle Float/Dock the preview panel
viewtopic.php?t=11912

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quick Filter Ideas
Xplorer2 to provide a drop-down list of the last 10 -20 most recently used filters?
swap the current-quick-filter from the current pane to the inactive pane?
viewtopic.php?t=11744

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

viewtopic.php?t=11700
I find the Folder-Size feature to be one of the most used abilities of xplorer2
Is there any way to get the folder sizes to work on the mobile phone storage?
Thanks for the work-around.
It's not as convenient as the normal display of folder sizes though; so can I suggest it for your list of future ideas please

reg
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

mjbrookes I'll see if I can squeeze some of these in, although I don't know how to trap mouse buttons for customization
as for the keyboard shortcut to dock/float, if you assign the command to a macro then you can assign a keyboard command to it
jlrjlr

Post by jlrjlr »

An other idea for Quick filter : not
but this might be already available ?

use case : all files not jpg
suggestion on hows :
1 leading !! in text box such as !!jpg
2 a additional button next to the green arrow (i.e n or ! on red background)
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

pj wrote: 2022 Oct 06, 12:13
nikos wrote: 2022 Oct 06, 11:22 that would be an insult to kilmatead's legacy ;)
what I should do is perhaps write a blog post about these useful plugins so that people outside this forum will know about them
... only problem is that I don't use any of them, so perhaps
pj wrote: 2022 Oct 04, 17:35PJ
who had the idea, should write them up?
This is a serious proposition :)
:withstupid: :yuck: :thumbdn: :baaa: :moon: :lol:
You know what, I'm done.

I've tried to be supportive of what I considered a promising programmer and with a very good product, and every suggestion has been met with this kind of response and outright ridicule. People should go back and research why TemperTantrumEdit even came about to see examples of this. I may peek in just to see if this program actually evolves or stays lost in the past. But don't look for support, suggestions, or even promotion any more.

Sorry, no not sorry.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

no that was a honest attempt to publicize K's work, but I noticed that when YOU had to do something about it you immediately bailed out ;)
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

I like the XTree (now ZTreeWin) concept of navigating in a tree then REPLACING the tree with the file list. I think the tree is useful for navigation but a waste of space when you are looking at a list of files. Switching it on/off is just unnecessary user effort, so why can't it be done automatically when you enter the directory?

Can you remember directories that are no longer available because the drive is off line? I repeatedly see "Desktop" and think "Oh ****, what was that directory?" Displaying something like "Directory X:\abc not available" in the pane, then powering up the remote drive would restore the list.

That's my two-pence worth.
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

nikos wrote: 2022 Oct 10, 07:21 no that was a honest attempt to publicize K's work, but I noticed that when YOU had to do something about it you immediately bailed out ;)
(Drawn back into this fruitless conversation against my better judgement ...)
  1. Not an employee, don't get royalties, etc. I have a VERY full-time job so there's NOTHING a user should be doing for your program other than what they wish to do.
  2. "preserve K's legacy" is a crock. You couldn't bother to save the photos he posted before moving the forum to another server/service.
  3. Suggestions to help you to increase your customer base have fallen on stubborn ears for years. There is STILL no link to the XPLORER2 home page anywhere on the forums, and a quick check on GOOGLE confirms that even the forum itself is blocked from SE crawlers, so anyone looking for features and suggestions from real users that may have solved similar problems using your utilities could never find them. In other words, you've kept our lights hidden under a bushel basket because of your own paranoia, ineptitude, or something else...
Every time I've posted suggestions it was with the intent of making X2 a better product, taking my time to be part of the R&D organization if you will, but the boss was too stubborn to listen with an open mind so this part of that organization is moving on.
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Gandolf wrote: 2022 Oct 10, 12:01 I like the XTree (now ZTreeWin) concept of navigating in a tree then REPLACING the tree with the file list. I think the tree is useful for navigation but a waste of space when you are looking at a list of files. Switching it on/off is just unnecessary user effort, so why can't it be done automatically when you enter the directory?

Can you remember directories that are no longer available because the drive is off line? I repeatedly see "Desktop" and think "Oh ****, what was that directory?" Displaying something like "Directory X:\abc not available" in the pane, then powering up the remote drive would restore the list.

That's my two-pence worth.
I will grudgingly admit I asked for this years ago and, gasp, Nikos implemented it. Check the Customize >> Folder groups >> Startup command to see if that does what you wish.
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

pj wrote: 2022 Oct 10, 12:36 I will grudgingly admit I asked for this years ago and, gasp, Nikos implemented it. Check the Customize >> Folder groups >> Startup command to see if that does what you wish.
NO!. It only works the first time, if you notice that one of the tabs displays Desktop. If you close x² with the tab displaying Desktop, then it does not work the next time x² is started. Also, you don't know what drive was displayed - these are removable caddy drives.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Snakebyte's MenuHack and Menu++ are very useful utilities although MenuHack has been mostly superceeded by x2's macros. I still use Menu++ although I have made some modifications to it over the years. I have always thought that a built in user menu functionality would be useful for x2 to have. The only reliable way to send x2 token parameters to programs with Menu++ is to use user commands which are in limited supply on my setup. On that note, one of my frequent requests is to have more than 100 (or is it 99) user items especially user commands.

I do think some of K's utilities should be implemented into x2. I use his customize toolbars tool and the one for setting up TC addons. Another one I use is the x2ResUpdater but it would probably need to remain an external tool. Some of these tools will probably stop working at some point due to code changes and the links to download them are going to go away sooner or later.

I think a drive bar associated with each pane would be useful. I do not use the tree much so would prefer a drive bar not dependent on the tree.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

pj wrote: 2022 Oct 10, 12:33 There is STILL no link to the XPLORER2 home page anywhere on the forums, and a quick check on GOOGLE confirms that even the forum itself is blocked from SE crawlers
I haven't done any such thing knowingly, and indeed if you search BING for e.g. "x2ResUpdater" it finds the forum post ok. But google doesn't!? :?:
If you have any idea how to sort it out please let me know
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as for the drivebar, would a drop-down list on each pane's titlebar do or you need the full space consuming row of buttons?
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

If I Google for "x2ResUpdater", I get one single link to GitHub - punassuming/xplorer2.ahk: ahk implementation for xplorer2
If I type "xplorer2" in the Google search bar, I get the following suggestions:
xplorer2.png
If I choose “xplorer2” from the list, I get a link to xplorer² Windows File Manager (Explorer replacement) in top position.
But “xplorer2 forum” returns no direct answer.
drac
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by drac »

If I use the Duck Duck Go search (as an extention in Chrome) searching on 'x2ResUpdater' the first 5 entries are all Zabkat. The 6th one is Github.

If I use Google to do the search I just get the one Github result.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

"The nth result on $search" is probably the second worst way to give anyone a web address I've ever heard.
No, you don't want to know the worst one. :)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012