tabbed exploring?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Requiem

tabbed exploring?

Post by Requiem »

A feature I've allways wanted in a file manager is tabbed browsing, like in mozilla/firebird/pheonix. There is already a FM that does it: http://www.tabexplorer.com.

But I haven't tried that piece of shareware and Im sure it doesn't have the functionality of firebird tabs (specialy with the tabbrowse extension).

Hello, first post, Thanks Nikos! May your father get better soon.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks, my father is already better

tabs are a possibility but for the far future
you can swap among x2's windows using Ctrl+W command
Requiem

Post by Requiem »

That's good to hear! Sorry if I missed those news.

Ctrl+W is far from what im thinking about, but it is interesting that you added this (obscure?) feature, its like you've already thought about it, but no d&d? oh well x2 is good enough as it is.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I like the idea of tabs as well but perhaps in the meantime a customizable toolbar with the ability to include bookmarks would do the job.
Is this a possibility?
Requiem

Maybe

Post by Requiem »

[quote="Gordon"]I like the idea of tabs as well but perhaps in the meantime a customizable toolbar with the ability to include bookmarks would do the job.
Is this a possibility?[/quote]

You mean just like the one you can find in mozila's own bookmarks bar as well as in other browsers like MyIE2 and Avant?

Well kind of, it is a good idea nonetheless, but knowing nickos aproach to bookmarks i don't think that is ever going to happen, i preffer the tabs for one reason, they open an close really easy.
cell18189

Post by cell18189 »

I just tried that tabbed explorer mentioned above. If xplorer2 is to have tabs, it needs to have way better functionality than the one mentioned above. I still like having two file panes beside each other, it allows you to easily compare the two, or copy/move files between the two. If there is a way to have the best of both worlds, I'm all for it.

cell18189
The Legend of Teroldor Half-life Side Leader.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

cell18189 wrote:I still like having two file panes beside each other, it allows you to easily compare the two, or copy/move files between the two. If there is a way to have the best of both worlds, I'm all for it.

cell18189
I think the idea is to keep the dual pane view, but use tab pages to be able to juggle between several instances of X2. This is already possible, albeit through the somewhat awkward Ctrl+W solution already mentioned in this thread.

Just start some extra instances of X2 by hitting Ctrl+N a few times and then hit Ctrl+W and you will see what I mean :)
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
Requiem

yes, that's it

Post by Requiem »

the idea is that some times im sorting the contents of more than 2 folders depending on the diferences between files, so i need 3+ panes and x2 only uses 2 wich is good because more could be cluttersome, and we only need 2 panes to compare and the others as targets only, what can I do?

my current solution is:

-open new x2 window
-browse for each target folder
-place links as icons in desktop
-close this window
-minimize all windows
-place the link icons in the lower side of the desktop
-switch to the original window
-resize it so that the lower side of deskopt is shown
-do the actual job
-delete the link icons as they are never the same and there's no use keeping them

So i thought, i wish i could reduce those folders to ontop icons insted of using the desktop (now I know there's an app that does that in XP, im 98 at home tho) but if i could also switch to those folders to see if everything as been copied right would be great. Been a firebird fan i realized that i was wishing for tabs, maybe im just too used to tabs.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

I am not sure what the task is you're trying to perform, but I think it can be done with the help of scrap panes (already in X2).

Have you looked into scrap panes yet?? Have a go at that. It can serve as a temporary (or even more or less permanent) location to store intermediate results. :D
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i'm confused too! what are all these links? :?
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Nikos/JRz-

Requiem means "shortcuts". He uses them as miniature "catcher" windows, each shortcut representing a different destination folder.

Using these "catcher" windows, he can move/copy selected items to any of the destination folders.

* He has put temporary shortcuts for all the destination folders on the desktop.
* To copy/move items to these folders, he drags and drops the items on the shortcuts. He has to resize x2 GUI so that all the shortcuts show up on desktop.

I guess he has thought of this novel idea just to keep all GUI elements on top. (Multiple scrap panes keep hiding under x2's GUI as the focus changes. Unfortunately, not many users know of the "keep on top" trick.)

Requiem, what you are doing is not necessary at all. Use multiple scrap panes (as many as you want). Resize and position each scrap pane as required. To keep them on top, you will have to use a freeware called Powermenu (http://www.onlythebestfreeware.com/prog ... ram_id=167)
Then right-click on the windows top bar and select "on top".

Tip: This freeware is also useful to control any other windows GUI.

Another advantage of using the scrap pane: While you can drop items on shortcuts, you can't take them out of those folders (unless you click on them to open the folder in an explorer window). Scrap pane does not have this limitation: they work both ways.

There are many other advantages of using scrap pane, but that's outside the scope of this thread! :)
Requiem

i'll try

Post by Requiem »

firsty, yes i mean shurtcuts, since they are *.lnk files I call them links sometimes, sorry.

Scrap panes, i don't know how to use them, i'll play a little with them until i get confident.

when im only using 3 panes, i make another folder ontop with a program called windows powerpro (can't recomend it enough). But it gets tricky to work with ontop windows (you have to move them a lot).

I know there are other ways of doing anystuff, I'm just trying to give feedback and ideas. I now other ppl has asked for more that 2 panes and tabbed interfaces seems to work for some clutter problems, not that it is the only solution. Anyway 2x is the best FM period and x2 is getting better everyday.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I know there are other ways of doing any stuff, I'm just trying to give feedback and ideas.
Yes, we ALL do the same! :) And x2 is what it is today because of such suggestions! So keep them coming!

The tabbed interface (and stay on top feature) are already in our wishlist. But since core file management features take higher priority, such features will be developed later. In the meantime, we suggest a work-around.

Yes, you can use PowerPro (I dumped it long ago- I prefer PowerMenu ) to make scrap panes stay on top. You don't have to move them frequently, though: make them small and place them where they don't obstruct your view. But you would not be able to reduce the window size below 2x2 inch (because of the menu/toolbar).

Periodically you may want to enlarge the Scrap panes to see what you have collected, or to transfer the items out of them.

BTW you can save the scrap panes; so each virtual collection is saved; and you don't have to start from scratch the next time.

About Scrap panes: Although the concept is powerful, they are very simple to use. You may have already used them: They pop up automatically to catch search results (CTRL+F). But they can be used independently. Launch Scrap panes from Window Menu.

They can do a lot of other things:
* Weed out duplicates from a collection;
* compare two different collections of files,
* Compile a virtual collection of items (and save it).
* Flatten a deep directory to view all items at once (to clean it up)

The beauty is that the scrap pane works on any random combination of files, collected from multiple directories (and even from neighborhood PCs).

And there is no need to be overcautious, because deleting the items from scrap panes does not delete them from the original folders: it only removes them from the scrap panes. To really delete the items, you have to use the context menu in scrap panes, or use the File menu. So scrap panes are pretty much safe!

Nikos, when a user wants to place multiple scrap panes on a single screen, he would typically reduce the size of each scrap pane window. As the window size is reduced, the active area is reduced, and the menu and toolbar continue to occupy a large, fixed-size area. Since the user has to retain at least some "active" (pane) area in each window, he can't reduce the window size below 2 inch x 2 inch (approx).

Can we turn the menu and toolbar off in a scrap pane? That means the entire window (barring the title bar) is "active" area; and so the user will be able to reduce the window size to a minimum (say, 1 inch x 1/2 inch). If you have used the "Download Basket" window of Download Accelerator Plus (DAP), then you'll know what I am talking about.

A Mozilla/Netscape style activate/deactivate GUI control for all x2 windows would be even more useful for real estate management! (There, a tiny button on the left toggles the bars on/off. As you activate more bars, they stackup downwards. When you hide a particular bar, the rest move to take up the vacated space.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can turn the toolbar off (View menu) but not the menu
when the window gets small you may have problems dropping in files too, e.g. if the first few visible items are drop targets (folders, executables, etc), since the drop will happen on such items instead of the scrap pane. Perhaps that idea about a keyboard shortcut to send items to scraps makes sense all of a sudden!
Requiem

Post by Requiem »

[quote="narayan"]Yes, you can use PowerPro ([i]I dumped it long ago- I prefer [b]PowerMenu[/b][/quote]

kinda off-topic but, Why? you can tell ppro to make on top scrap panes automatically and there's no feature in powermenu that ppro can't do and in a more flexible way, maybe you tried an early beta (?) ... well you must have your reasons.