Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Delete errors?

Post by appyface »

Version 5.3.0.1 x64.

In scrap pane have a number of folders and files, most of which have very long deep pathnames.

I select all in the scrap pane and use <shift><delete> to bring up the robust delete dialog. There are errors deleting, I repeat this operation until all the folders and files to be deleted have the error displayed "[Windows error = 3: The system cannot find the path specified."

If I try to delete just two of these entries with "regular" delete (X button), I get "The selection does not support this verb". With robust delete on them I always get the windows error.

However, using either robost delete or delete button, I can delete these one at a time, so there doesn't seem to be any problem finding them?

Kind regards.

Edit to add: I close the scrap pane after each attempt, then re-run my search for files and folders into a fresh scrap pane, before trying again.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Delete errors?

Post by nikos »

I just tried it with a few deep files and didn't see any issues
note that "plain" delete doesn't work in deep paths, but TRASH does work.
the keyboard shortcut is CTRL+SHIFT+DEL from a scrap window, or add the TRASH button on the toolbar
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

The plain delete does work on one at a time. The robust delete also works on one at a time. Two or more, neither works.

I have not used the "trash" method before, so added the button and tried it with two selected that would not delete via 'plain' or 'robust' with multiple selected. I get the error message "the selection does not support this verb" and they are not deleted. Just like the other two methods, 'trash' does work one at a time.

Also, I am not receiving email notifications of replies here? Under board prefs, notification options, email is marked for all items. I do not have any spam filtering on my account with this provider. The only emails this provider will not deliver and sends to oblivion is if the "envelope sender" email address is invalid. I otherwise receive everything. Help?

EDIT: I found one that doesn't delete by any of the three methods. No error messages, and it disappears from the scrap pane after trying to delete. But comes back on the next search. I was searching for empty folders (contents value from 0 to 0 on the find dialog). This empty folder was found in a ZIP file, which has never happened to me before? Here is the full string of the found empty folder:

P:\___from_root_of_drive_P\20151114_backup_S1500_V06-gave disk to mike\20150521a_eeepc_backup\f-drive\EeePC_Drivers\05-realtek_audio_Vista_Win7_Win8_R271_6.0.1.6873.zip\Vista_Win7_Win8_R271\Config

(Config is the empty folder that was found)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

all I can say is that trash works for me and I haven't heard this problem before from anybody else
is there anything ELSE special about these items, except for being in deep paths?
sometimes things break down at the border, I mean managing items that are in folders just below 256 characters long

sorry this forum doesn't send emails, it's all manual :)

finally for empty folders, try the command from FOLDER STATISTICS, which can find whole hierarchies of empty folders.
with CONTENTS=0 you are only finding the end leaf of such hierarchies

ps does the drive you are deleting from support 8.3 paths? Usually the system C:\ does but all others don't
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

Every few years I clean up old directories and files and have always had this problem with x2 ('plain' delete and robust delete in past). Didn't report it, just lived with it. Multiple machines, drives, OS...

Nothing special about these folders and files (other than the ZIP example above) AFAIK.

Yes I was looking for end node empty folders deliberately with contents = 0. Thanks for tip about folder statistics command, I'll take a look. I have been using another program to prune empty directory trees.

I don't about in the past, but drive I am cleaning up right now supports 8.3 (I see the 8.3 names from dir /x in command window). Is there someplace else I should check to confirm? Does it matter one way or the other?

I saw some odd behavior yesterday. Flattened a folder to scrap, selected all and used trash button. All deleted except four PDF files (not in any ZIP or other archive, just files) which got the windows error = 3. Closed the scrap, flattened the folder to scrap again, selected all four and used trash button. Deleted this time without error.