Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

xplorer2 5.308 BETA

Post by nikos »

new version coming up, here's a beta to try things out
https://www.zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_se ... t_beta.exe

there have been many low-level changes so if you are using older windows (7, XP etc) please be extra vigilant
thanks for any feedback!

changelog:
* FAST SHELL PROPERTIES
A long overdue low level improvement, now xplorer² will show non-stock file properties much quicker, so shell properties are cached like [S]tock properties. You will notice the difference if you are using audio ID3 tags (duration, bitrate etc) and camera EXIF properties. Also works for {X]tended legacy column handlers and WDX plugins. This change affects many program features, showing file details, sorting, filtering and searching for shell column data.

This is a pervasive change, which hasn't been tested very well for older windows, so if you are still on windows XP or older and you discover anything weird with file properties please let me know

* [Ult] xplorer² can handle floating point properties like System.GPS.LatitudeDecimal, and also any real numbers returned by WDX plugins. If you are searching using such numbers as filter rules, note that at present the limits are integer, e.g. you cannot search for GPS latitude 23.35 but you can search for range from 23 to 24 which is almost the same thing.

* ESCAPABILITY. If xplorer² is busy reading or filtering with slow file properties, you can try pressing ESC key (keep it down for a while if need be) and it will abort whatever slow job it is currently busy with. More potentially slow operations like quick filtering and auto-refreshing will present a progress bar on the status bar, giving you an idea of the remaining time.

* Registry tweak nFastFilterCnt (=512) will switch to a quick sort order by NAME, in case you enter a big folder (with more items than this limit), if you are normally sorting by a slow property like MP3 Duration. This is a temporary measure, the next (not huge) folder you enter will be arranged by your default sort mode. Set nFastFilterCnt to 0 to disable this protection feature.

* FOCUSED DIALOGS. Whenever a dialog window or message appears, the main window is alpha-shaded, to help focusing on the message at hand. This behavior can be turned off setting the advanced registry option GAO2_NOSHADEDLG. This feature requires windows 10 or later.

* EDIT > COPY FILENAMES menu command copies just the filenames (without the path). The older ALT+C command has been renamed to COPY PATH NAMES so you can tell the difference. Each selected filename is copied in a separate line. If CTRL key is pressed, filenames are in one line separated by commas FILE1.TXT , FILE2.TXT

* [P] The results of TOOLS > CHECK DUPLICATES menu command are presented in bands of alternating background colors, so you can tell duplicate file groups apart. Now these bands are better indented using divider lines.

* [P] Custom folder status indicator. When browsing a folder with custom settings (a folder where you have used ACTIONS > FOLDER SETTINGS > SAVE menu command), a status bar icon will appear (next to free space indicator).

* [P] A registry tweak called nMaxMinisearch controls how many items appear in popup minisearch window (a feature introduced in v5.3). When more results are found, xplorer² stops searching and you can use CLICK FOR ROBUST SEARCH to see if there are any more results. The default value of 28 maximum results fits nicely in the available popup window screem area. If you increase this limit, you may need to scroll to see more results.

* Dead (unresponsive) folders in quick access list (folder tree) can be deleted with context (right click) menu as well as with pressing DEL key. Note this doesn't affect the real folder, it will just stop showing in the QAL

* When you click on QUICK ACCESS (top item) in tree's QAL, you get to browse the recent items folder, which will be arranged by DATE automatically, so you can easily see the files you've worked with most recently, regardless of your usual sort mode.

* Dark mode improvements, messageboxes and progress bars now paint in dark colors

* multimonitor DPI improvements

* Browsing into recycle bin is much faster, if there are many items inside. Sorry we lost autorefresh in the bin, but you can manually press CTRL+R to refresh the contents if necessary. In general you should empty the recyclebin from time to time, so you can browse it quicker, and clean up used disk space.

* [P] Delete files in deep folders automatically uses trash (permanent) deletion instead of an error message. Recycle bin doesn't support deep documents, so be careful, your deletions cannot be undone!

* Advanced option GAO2_MIDMOUSETAB (available in the advanced settings editor) lets you open new tabs using the middle mouse button. Click on any folder with the middle button and it will open in a new tab. This will work only when a single folder is selected. It is possible to simulate a middle button click with a 3-finger gesture on your mouse touchpad, see your touchpad windows settings. Without this option, middle mouse button toggles the selection state of the clicked item without harming any other selected items (like sticky selection)

* Folder tab right click menu has a FIND TAB command for ribbon users. Use it to search for a tab by a partial name

* [P] New macro command ADDTEXT can be used to add text to an edit control

* editor² version 2.992 supports ADDTEXT macro and also shading and dark mode improvements.

* [P] TOOLS > FOLDER STATISTICS command places a question mark icon overlay on folders that were not read for one reason or other (errors or junctions).

* SVG vector images can be previewed and will also show thumbnails

* [P] bigger boolean icons for file search and other similar advanced filtering dialogs

* bugfixes
kger

Re: xplorer2 5.308 BETA

Post by kger »

I find that I like the Focused DIalogs feature. It is something I am going to look into adding to my own software.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I annoyed me a bit at first (it's similar the the UAC shading thing) but it's growing on me.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it is something you can turn off if you don't like it
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Just now seeing this. As I see a new option which is going to be disabled immediately after installing, I've got a curious question.

Since I always have my ULT installed on my Windows box, and since I've more than once installed a Beta here and there along side my installed stable version, I'm curious:

If I install the Beta, even into its own directory, does it create its own set of registry keys for settings?

FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I do not think the beta uses it's own registry keys.

I usually do a backup of my settings before I install any new x2 just to be on the safe side, specially betas.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

That is what I was afraid of. I usually install the Betas in a new directory to run side by side with the latest stable.

FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I install the beta in a different folder also. I have never had problems doing that.

If you wanted to have separate settings for the beta and stable you could save settings to an ini file. I used to do that because I liked to keep x2 portable but Nikos said using an ini was slower than using the registry so I switched at some point. I wonder if you can have the stable save settings to the registry and have the beta save them to an ini.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

why do you worry about beta saving settings at the same registry location?
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

For me, it is if it introduces a new setting that the old version cannot make sense of and breaks it. A secondary reason is that I may inadvertently set something in the Betas that breaks the beta (and later the subsequent final release) without realizing it, and thus I need to spend time troubleshooting what went wrong or what I did wrong.

IMO, and this is exactly that, just my opinion, betas should not use stable software space for anything - they should be isolated.

johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

FrizzleFry wrote: 2023 Apr 28, 09:27 I install the beta in a different folder also. I have never had problems doing that.

If you wanted to have separate settings for the beta and stable you could save settings to an ini file. I used to do that because I liked to keep x2 portable but Nikos said using an ini was slower than using the registry so I switched at some point. I wonder if you can have the stable save settings to the registry and have the beta save them to an ini.
Same reason I stopped trying to use .ini settings as well. Well,l that and the fact that I have to go through an installation to make the portable, which got to be a bit hectc with all the clean installs I do.

FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I have never had any problem running the beta side by side with the stable. Nikos has been pretty good at preventing any conflicts whenever he adds new settings. I still back up my settings often just in case. I would not want to have to redo all my 90+ user commands.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there was only one time where registry stuff were incompatible in beta versions, long time ago when long paths were added with v3.something
nothing to worry about registry settings usually. And a settings backup is necessary for all kinds of mishaps
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

I won't worry then. The thing is, though, settings backups are manual. If I make a lot of changes, and forget to save , then install a Beta and something goes wonky, my changes are gone.

But, that is mostly moot now, anyway, as I'm making extensive use of profiles, so if I lose a profile or 2, it's not nearly as big a deal as the main profiles I have / need / want are already backed up.

Glad to know it is not likely to cause an issue.