How to suppress "save settings on exit is disabled" message

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

How to suppress "save settings on exit is disabled" message

Post by otlaolap »

Often I change the thumbnail size, several times a session, when I am working on image folders. Recently I have been getting a "Save settings on exit is disabled; your changes will be forgotten" message after each adjustment. I run with save settings on exit disabled because I have a standard layout and standard settings for things, and I want this always to come up, without change, when I start X2. So, given that I run with save settings on exit disabled intentionally, is there any way I can suppress this constant reminder that I am doing so?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to suppress "save settings on exit is disabled" message

Post by nikos »

as it is just a statusbar message, you can just ignore it :)
do you know there is a dynamic way to change thumbnail sizes with ctrl+mousewheel?
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

Ah, Nikos, as I don't like extra (for me) info displayed on the screen, I do not use the status bar, so the message becomes a full popup, with beep, that must be dismissed with the mouse or the keyboard. I do know about the wheeling, but I have several fixed presets that I know and use that size things just right for my work. The wheel is nice and approximate, but not what I want for these uses.

Technical additions. Resource Hacker can delete the text of this message, but the original text still shows up (somehow from somewhere) still as a popup after deletion. Other messages, such as "Use drag-drop or a menu to add files or folders" and "Items exist; turn off visual filter to see them", can be deleted and then they simply disappear -- never see them again, which is fine since otherwise I keep getting hit by them. So somehow this "save settings" message is different (the others are merely empty-pane fillers). The deletions are made using the custom DLL scheme you and two others perfected at the time your main executable became protected (which scheme works well).

Be nice to get rid of this, but I do understand that it is a nit in the global universe of features an issues you support.
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

Never mind. My constantly running background helper program can intercept window openings and squelch them, and it now catches this popup and satisfies it before it is even shown (the program also turns of the beep long enough to suppress that too). As always, thanks for X2 and all its features.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I also changed the message so it only shows ONCE each xplorer2 run