windows font management

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

rnmerchant

windows font management

Post by rnmerchant »

This is a small but I thought interesting issue.

I know Windows fonts are special to Windows. Why, I'm not sure. Beer is special, fonts not so much in my view.

I recently came across a situation in which I had some fonts (only 8 intotoal) with Created and Modified dates in 2080. Odd I thought.

Viewing the windows\fonts folder file dates are not shown. OK. I moved the odd fonts to another folder and select them all. Then I tried to change the file dates - \Actions\change dates... - and the dialogue seems to be happy... but no, there are no changes in the dates... the changes did not happen (even refreshing).

So I run Xplorer2 with admin rights. That's OK - then I can change the dates - I started with 'Modified' date. OK. Works, the dialogue disappears. So I (still having the font files selected, all 8 at once). I then go to the same - \Actions\change dates... and the dialogue briefly flashes and the program crashes.

So I re-run Xplorer again with admin rights and the folder opens, the fonts are there with the one date changed, and I can select them and this time change the other date. That works.

I do this process twice because the maximum change of date allowed is 60 ± years, which isn't quite enough. The same things happen / working then crashing...

Oh well - not an important point really. I got it done. But I thought interesting. :o

Richard
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: windows font management

Post by nikos »

I did a quick check with a regular file, changed its date to 2080 and back with no ill effect
files in the FONT folder are a bit special, but it looks like a freak occurrence to me!