Set default columns for Detailed view)?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

AndyFielding

Set default columns for Detailed view)?

Post by AndyFielding »

Hi,

When I switch to Detailed view (View > Pane Style > Details), I find that x2 has "forgotten" the previous columns I've used, and has returned to:

Filename / Extension / Size / Attributes / Modified

(The "Modified" column is very odd, BTW—it just says things like "Recently", "Last Year", "Long Ago"... I think one particularly old file even said "Back When Bill Gates Thought 640K was Plenty".)

I've created and saved the Column Set I always use:

Filename / Size / Date modified [you know, the actual day 😁 ]

...but whenever I switch to Detail view, x2 makes me select it manually (R-click a column header > point to Column Sets > click the set name).

Is that really necessary? Can't x2 be set to do it by default? Thanks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Set default columns for Detailed view)?

Post by nikos »

as far as columns are concerned, "default" is whatever you've used last time! Of course in a complex program like xplorer2 there are ifs and buts... e.g. if you are overusing custom folder settings: www.zabkat.com/blog/23Mar08.htm
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Do do you have "save program state on exit, to" checked? (Tools/Options/General (tab), at top)

The weird dates are "user friendly date column information" (Tools/Options/Advanced (tab), about halfway down the checkboxes)

Have you saved folder setting for specific folders? (Actions/Folder settings, bottom)

If you are using the strip thing instead of the regular menu you have to click on File, Options, Options to get to the Program options dialog.
AndyFielding

Post by AndyFielding »

Hi again guys,

Sorry for the long delay... We're remodeling and everything is chaos here. 😜💦
nikos wrote: 2023 May 27, 08:44 as far as columns are concerned, "default" is whatever you've used last time! Of course in a complex program like xplorer2 there are ifs and buts... e.g. if you are overusing custom folder settings: www.zabkat.com/blog/23Mar08.htm
I don't really know what you mean about "overusing custom folder settings", and I'm afraid I haven't time to research that link... All I want to do is have a simple default choice of columns in Details view, the same for every folder I view that way, rather than having to select the details from a list every time I turn on Detail view—so I wondered if that was possible.
FrizzleFry wrote: 2023 May 30, 20:52 Do do you have "save program state on exit, to" checked? (Tools/Options/General (tab), at top)... Have you saved folder setting for specific folders? (Actions/Folder settings, bottom)...
(1.) Yes, it's always been on; and (2.) no, I've never used that.
FrizzleFry wrote: 2023 May 30, 20:52 If you are using the strip thing instead of the regular menu you have to click on File, Options, Options to get to the Program options dialog.
I see no "Options" choice on the File menu... Could you actually mean Tools > Options? That opens the "Program options [ Default]" window, but I don't know what you're referring to there... Are you just referring to "Save program state on exit" again?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sadly if you want your problems fixed, you must put in some effort
so are you using ACTIONS > FOLDER SETTINGS > SAVE menu command or not?
if you have the latest version 5.4, there is a status bar icon when you are in a folder controlled by custom settings
this is the usual cause for "details not being remembered"