Copy to preserve dates function

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

IHipschman

Copy to preserve dates function

Post by IHipschman »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or I am misunderstanding something: When I use the "copy to" function and select the option "Preserve all original file and folder dates (created etc.)" the "created date(s)" changes to the current date. I am using version 5.4.0.2 x64 6/14/2023 on a Windows 10 machine.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Copy to preserve dates function

Post by nikos »

what are your "from" and "to" copy folders? this function only works for COPY (not move) and for filesystem folders, nothing special
IHipschman

Post by IHipschman »

Aha. I think that explains it. I have two hard drives on my system. The Created Date is preserved only if I am copying to the same drive, not if I copy from one drive to the other. So is there any way to preserve all dates copying across drives?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that doesn't make sense to me, are both drives "normal" or there's one "special"?
IHipschman

Post by IHipschman »

Not sure what you mean by normal and special. I have two physical hard drives on the PC. They are both regular sata drives formatted with NTFS. Neither is special other than that one has the boot partition. Using "copy to" with preserve file dates set does not preserve the create date if I copy from one drive to the other. I did a little more experimenting and found that copying between partitions (different drive letters) on the same physical drive also does not preserve the create date so the issue seems to happen when copying between drive letters.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

do you see the windows progress dialog while copying or xplorer2 "robust copy" progress dialog?
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Works for me on both files and folders on 5.4.0.2 Ultimate, Windows 10 Home. Created and modified dates are preserved.

How are you starting the copy to process? keyboard (F5, Ctrl-F5), menu (Edit), toolbar icon
IHipschman

Post by IHipschman »

I need to apologize. I don't know what I was doing wrong before, but when I test now it is working correctly. I do apologize for taking up your time needlessly.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

You were probably doing copy and paste which I think uses the system copy rather than the x2 robust copy.