URL Shortcut Viewer

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Crag Jones

URL Shortcut Viewer

Post by Crag Jones »

Hi. In the simplest terms I'm looking for an updated version of URL Shortcut Viewer 1.1.1.0. that can view websites from within the preview pane of xplorer2. URL Shortcut Viewer 1.1.1.0. was designed to work with Internet Explorer though it will still display a rendered web-page in the preview pane of xplorer2 you first have to click through numerous scripting error messages.
I have searched high and low but am not getting much luck in finding a workable solution.
The reason for the requirement is that I have all my URL shorcuts stored as files alongside all my other documents (of all kinds) in the hope of having a unified representation that combines web sources and local documents i.e. not to have two separate hierarchies one for files and another (favourites - call then whatever) for web links. Being able to view all seamlessly from within xplorer2 would be very efficient, combining file/web browsing in this fashion.
The best I have found so far is QuickLook for Windows working in conjunction with MS File Explorer in a separate window. It can be a bit hit and miss.
In theory it will work with Total Commander though not simply display via a preview pane. see
https://github.com/QL-Win/QuickLook/wik ... -Commander
I am not sure if and how you can implement this with xplorer2, i.e. via the plugin architecture etc since QuickLook is a dll and even if it can be got to work it seems it would not be effected via the preview pane. Can anyone offer any suggestions or alternative approach to get the required functionality? Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: URL Shortcut Viewer

Post by nikos »

if we're talking about an external window, what's the benefit of using quicklook over your regular HTML browser?
just press ENTER key and see your URL in edge/chrome or what have you
Crag Jones

Post by Crag Jones »

I agree, but what I'd actually like is for QuickLook or a plugin to work with the INTERNAL xplorer2 preview pane so that I dont keep having to switch back and forth between my file browser and web-viewer; everything would ideally be presented through the one single interface. URL Shortcut Viewer 1.1.1.0 was brilliant for doing this within xplorer2; it just struggles to cope now since browsers have moved on from Internet Explorer and keeps coming up with scripting errors.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

but this TC plugin is also showing things EXTERNALLY
it isn't generally possible to embed a standalone program inside xplorer2 (or any other program)
Crag Jones

Post by Crag Jones »

Thanks Nikos. I see what you are saying and I would also far prefer another plugin with the functionality of the old Lister Plugin - 'URL Shortcut Viewer 1.1.1.0'. that works internally with the existing xplorer2 preview pane. If I had the know-how I might attempt to write or modify a plugin myself but it's not realistic at this stage!

'petermad' did suggest in a TC forum 'Maybe you can avoid some of the (scripting error messages for URL Shortcut Viewer 1.1.1.0 ) messages by configuring Internet Explorer by running inetcpl.cpl - change settings in the Advanced and the Security tab that relates to the messages you get.' I have run this and checked the settings and the most likely ones seem to be already set correctly. Also altering those would have a global effect across my entire system so care is needed. The other problem with URL Shortcut Viewer 1.1.1.0 is that it often displays web sites correctly for the url shortcut file but at other times displays its code instead or nothing, even though the shortcut files themselves link successfully via a browser when double clicked.