Folder Children & File Children?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Alikris

Folder Children & File Children?

Post by Alikris »

Hi, I've been using Xplorer2 Pro (version 2, upgraded from Version 1.6) since my Win XP days. It does everything I need and if it isn't broke don't fix it! It's superb and I honestly can't live without it (I have 24.5 TB of SSD storage and 32TB of HDD storage, mostly audio, video and image files)

Anyway, the motherboard of the computer I built in 2014 has finally died on me so have built a new PC and sadly have had to 'upgrade' from Windows 7 to the abomination (IMO) that is Windows 10. Thankfully I have managed to 'tame' Windows 10 by getting rid of all the superfluous unnecessary rubbish and spyware it comes with and disabling many services and most scheduled tasks etc. I've also got rid of the awful 'ribbons' and have managed to get back to a proper start menu etc.

I 'carried forward' many of my old applications but also took the opportunity to see if there have been any new versions of these applications. So I downloaded and installed the latest version of Xplorer2. Just the trial at the moment, I am happy to purchase the latest version after trialling it. It took a bit of work to get the foldersize column to work but it now does.

Version 2 has two columns that I use all the time:

Folder Children: Display the total number of subfolders within Folders
File Children: Display the total number of files within folders

However, I can't find these two columns anywhere in the current version so have gone back to using V2 which still works perfectly, including the Folder Children & File Children columns.

I would love to upgrade to the latest Pro version but if it cannot do the folder/file children columns that I need then obviously I can't.

I'd be grateful if someone can tell me if it's possible to have these two columns in the current version and if so how to get them to be visible in the 'available columns' list

Many thanks,
Ali.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Folder Children & File Children?

Post by nikos »

Welcome to the forum!
these columns you say are not part of xplorer2 (never were), it must be something you have installed extra
xplorer2 has the CONTENTS [S] column that counts all direct contents, folders and files combined

if you have a large audio and video collection, have a look at i-DeClone too, it has some special tricks to find duplicate songs and movies!
Alikris

Post by Alikris »

Hmm, ok, thanks Nikos. I don't remember installing anything that would specifically give file children anhd folder children columns.

That said, i notice these two columns are the only ones in the "available columns" list that have an [X] after them.

Looking at my XP Program files folder there doesn't appear to be anything that could point me to what this is, nor does there appear to be any extra things in the Xplorer2 program folder that shouldn't be there.

To be honest I'm surprised so many of My XP and Win7 installed programs work perfectly without having to reinstall them, just click on the .exe in the old program files folder and away it goes. :?

Any idea how I could track down what is giving me these extra columns? I've done a comprehensive google search but not found anything.

Ali.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

most likely it is a shell extension, perhaps you had installed folder size? (I'm not sure it is the one)
you can use something like http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html to see all extensions you have installed, in case it rings a bell
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

The software you're looking for is "Folder Size for Windows" (https://foldersize.sourceforge.net/). It adds the "children" columns.