Manual Sort and Rename???

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Crag Jones

Manual Sort and Rename???

Post by Crag Jones »

The problem - I wish to manually rearrange the order of image files in a folder and then bulk rename them to preserve the order I arranged them in.
This is a frequent requirement for photo-management etc.

I have already tried 'View/Arrange By / Manually' followed by rename /bulk rename etc etc in all possible variants, but with no luck.
It seems to always pickup on the original file name when renaming rather than the manual order the files have been arranged in.

Any help with this would be gratefully received.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Manual Sort and Rename???

Post by nikos »

for this task, instead of manual arrange try using a simple view like details, and arrange items with ctrl+shift+up/down keys
Crag Jones

Re: Manual Sort and Rename???

Post by Crag Jones »

Great - that works, and also for list and detailed thumbnails before doing a rename to preserve the new order.
The latter is important so that you can visually sort the files into the order you want e.g. for a slide show etc when you are trying to tell a story, or combining images from different sources and with different name patterns.
IF it were possible to confer this permanent manual sort facility onto the 'View/Arrange By/Manually' menu option when using thumbnails as well it would be a great addition for image / graphics work. Many thanks, Crag.