Column sets sorting issue

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

fred795

Column sets sorting issue

Post by fred795 »

I have a few column sets that I cycle between. One of them includes "Length", which I appreciate is slow, so I use it sparingly.

If I sort by Length, then switch to another column set that doesn't include Length, I believe Xplorer2 still sorts by Length in the background (until the sort column is changed manually). This can slow the app down dramatically when switching folders, and is super hard to diagnose unless I realise what's going on, as the speed issue might not be evident until later (depending on the folder)

Anything I'm missing here? Or any way around this?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Column sets sorting issue

Post by nikos »

changing columns doesn't have any effect on sort mode.
do you have the latest version?
this caches slow columns, and also warns you about slow columns whenever you enter large folders and sorts by name instead
see nFastFilterCnt registry option for more details
fred795

Post by fred795 »

Ok, thanks for the nFastFilterCnt tip - I can make that work. Although here are a few notes.

I needed to set the threshold a lot lower than the default 512 (looking at video files on a networked drive), and noticed that if I change the column set while in a folder where the number of items is higher than the threshold, then the new column set doesn't stick when I navigate out of the folder. To permanently change to the new column set I need to make that change in a folder where the number of items is lower than the threshold value.

You mentioned there's a warning about slow columns in large folders but although I see the sort column being changed, I don't see a warning. Where should I look for the warning?

The perfect solution (for me) would be an advanced option where a folder would default to sorting by name in the event that the current sort column isn't visible (especially useful if the column is slow). I don't suppose that's possible for a future update?

Thanks for your help.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the way the system is organized, is to protect you without losing your settings
so when nFastFilterCnt blocks your preferred sort order, it makes a note to re-enable it for the next (small) folder

perhaps the easier solution for you would be to click on the name column manually?
fred795

Post by fred795 »

"perhaps the easier solution for you would be to click on the name column manually?"
Yep. Unfortunately the first clue that I've forgotten to do that is when Xplorer2 hangs while it tries to sort by a hidden column that I'm no longer using or interested in.

"when nFastFilterCnt blocks your preferred sort order, it makes a note to re-enable it for the next (small) folder"
But it doesn't just re-enable sorting, it also restores the original column structure (column set) even it is has since been changed. And the only way to apply a new column set (that sticks) is to go hunting for a small folder and make the change in that. I've added a link to a recording that shows this. Is this expected behaviour?

https://streamable.com/ba4kwq

Aside from the nFastFilterCnt issue above - if you don't like the idea of an option to not sort by columns that are no longer being shown, then what about optionally being able to save the curent sort order as part of creating a column set, which would then activate when switching to the new set?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I see what you're saying about the columns coming back, it is an unfortunate side effect
it is a case of both options having their ups and downs (damned if you do and damned if you don't :) )

I will consider adding the sort order with the saved column set, it makes sense
in the meantime to get out of this rut I can't think of a better solution than browsing the top C:\ folder which is likely not to be affected and change your columns there.
fred795

Post by fred795 »

Ok, thanks