Pressing backspace to go up a level with a screen reader reports incorrect focused item, unless sorting by unsorted.

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Quin

Pressing backspace to go up a level with a screen reader reports incorrect focused item, unless sorting by unsorted.

Post by Quin »

The title pretty much sums up this one. Unless I set my files to sort by "unsorted", when I press backspace, my screen reader announces a totally different file/folder than what I'm focused on, leading to great confusion in many cases.
Is it possible for this to be looked into?
Thanks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pressing backspace to go up a level with a screen reader reports incorrect focused item, unless sorting by unsorted.

Post by nikos »

can you give me a specific example?
Quin

Re: Pressing backspace to go up a level with a screen reader reports incorrect focused item, unless sorting by unsorted.

Post by Quin »

Sure. I have my xplorer2 sorting by name. I went into a folder in %HOMEPATH%\dropbox, called music. I hit backspace to go out of it, expecting NVDA to tell me that I'm focused on the music folder. But instead, it speaks some random file, probably because it tries to speak the focused item before sorting, hence why unsorted works just fine.
I haven't dabbled in IAccessible extensively, and have hardly touched it since 2021, but I wonder if you could somehow queue up the gain focus event until after sorting occurs?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the listview control is handling its own accessibility, I don't want to touch it, it is a standard windows element
whichever folder you got out from IS selected, so the problem lies with your screen reader. If in doubt, press down then up key to reaffirm the selection
Quin

Post by Quin »

I'm fairly certain you as the developer can completely fix this actually without even needing to touch the accessibility layer. It's behaving like you're adding all the items to the list, setting the keyboard focus, then sorting. You should only set the keyboard focus after sorting, that'll fix it if it's doing what I think it is.