Deep Path Setting Disabled (Gremlinesque Bug, Solved)

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Deep Path Setting Disabled (Gremlinesque Bug, Solved)

Post by Kilmatead »

I first encountered this when messing around with the beta, but discovered that it happens with the stable 5501 as well.

Basically the checkbox in Tools -> Advanced Options -> Global -> Enable Deep Path Support keeps getting "un"-checked after I browse around for a bit. I can't narrow down exactly when or why this happens, but it doesn't take very long, and that's why I'm posting here, hopefully someone else sees it too and "it's not just me".

To verify this I completely uninstalled the beta as well as the original x2, deleting all settings so it starts vanilla, and made sure no plugins were installed or active.

1. Go to Tools -> Options -> General Tab and un-check (yes, uncheck) the Save Program State on Exit setting. I don't know if that matters, but it at least rules out something accidentally overwriting the settings, and it's how I run x2 all the time anyway.

2. Go to the above advanced setting and enable Deep Path Support. I usually reopen it just to verify that it is actually set.

After that I literally just browse around a bunch of drives - all local and physical, a mix of SSD's and spinning rust. I don't (as far as I know) actually have any deep paths, so I don't think that triggers it, but I do have some rather large folder structures. Anyway after jumping from drive to drive, folder to folder for a few minutes I return to Tools -> Advanced Options -> Global -> Enable Deep Path Support and discover that it has somehow magically cleared its checkbox. It doesn't always happen right away, but it does always happen.

To be fair, I don't know what this option does (why isn't it enabled by default if it's so great?), but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to uncheck itself randomly.

Win10, x2 ult. 5501

Hopefully someone else can corroborate this. I have not noticed any other settings going missing, and no cause other than browsing around - literally no settings changes, no functions used, no bookmarks or user-commands invoked.

It is repeatable (for me) - I set it again, browse around, and it's unset.
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2024 May 04, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Deep Path Setting Disabled (Gremlinesque Bug)

Post by nikos »

if your registry key LongPathsEnabled is enabled, then xplorer2 turns off its special handling
see https://www.zabkat.com/blog/long-8.3-path-names.htm

btw "save settings on exit" is a bit of a cheat, as global settings are always saved (bookmarks and such)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Deep Path Setting Disabled (Gremlinesque Bug, Solved)

Post by Kilmatead »

Well that solves that, I guess. A lot of trouble for nothing. Why not just disable the setting altogether if it's not needed or used? Would have saved this poor monkey a lot of scratching! :D

Yeah, I know save settings on exit doesn't exactly behave the way we think it does, but in the interests of bug chasing I wanted to reduce everything to the bare minimum. Oh well. Thanks.

(Although I don't know why I'm thanking you - from my calculations you owe me at least a half-hour of my wasted bug chasing time. You can start by fixing my phone. It hates me. I don't know why. I try to be nice to it, but I think it's possessed. Do phone exorcists exist?)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you set LongPathsEnabled then you don't see the funny long path format \\?\c:\blah
you know, this week is greek orthodox easter and we're all meant to suffer :)
but tomorrow He rises
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Christos voskrese.

(Strange, the memories that bubble to the surface from childhood. I learned that phrase (in that language) when I was too small to even tie my laces, and now, there it is again.)