Thumb Bar

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

anne154

Thumb Bar

Post by anne154 »

My thumb bar window was floating on top of the program window. I moved it off the text I wanted to view up to the top of the screen. The top of the thumb bar disappeared off the screen; the thumb window is stuck to the top of the screen, and cannot be moved. How do I unstick it? And move it back onto the program window?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

see the thread:
http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?t=1051
for discussion & fix of similar problem.
(Although drastic, deletion of 2X registry keys & restart is quite easy to do & reacquires a good many "lost" features.)

Admittedly, it's a sledgehammer approach, & someone will likely chime in with a more sophistacated solution after a while. :wink:
anne154

Post by anne154 »

I went to the thread you recommended. The follow-on post from Nikos clained a less drastic solution. I searched all "thumb" posts, but did not see any that suggested a remedy other than removing all registry entries. Any idea where th eless drastic solution is? Thank you for your response.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's FAQ #11
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Note that the less drastic solution is still a registry tweak. :(

Nikos' way doesn't affect your other customized settings -- only the placement of the various mainframe "bars". And that's really good if you have spent time customizing 2xEplorer :)

I missed finding it in the Help | F.A.Q.s myself, because I tend to look only at the Q's & not the A's -- which often cover a lot more ground!
e.g.: the "too long to load or exit" complaint at Q11 wouldn't tell me about all the things the answer (in 2nd para) will fix :!:
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Thumbnails

Post by zippit »

fgagnon wrote:Note that the less drastic solution is still a registry tweak. :(

Nikos' way doesn't affect your other customized settings -- only the placement of the various mainframe "bars". And that's really good if you have spent time customizing 2xEplorer :)

I missed finding it in the Help | F.A.Q.s myself, because I tend to look only at the Q's & not the A's -- which often cover a lot more ground!
e.g.: the "too long to load or exit" complaint at Q11 wouldn't tell me about all the things the answer (in 2nd para) will fix :!:
A Registry tweak is not necessary and "very drasic" if not done right.
I wish we had atachments here.I will try email.
But the view menu on/off thumbs should work.
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Thumbnails

Post by JRz »

zippit wrote:A Registry tweak is not necessary and "very drasic" if not done right.
I wish we had atachments here.I will try email.
But the view menu on/off thumbs should work.
No, doesn't fix this particular problem :(

When your thumb view is off the screen it stays that way, even when you turn it off and then back on again using the menu or the shortcut-key.

So the registry tweak is necessary here !!
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Thumbs

Post by zippit »

I guess i don't understand what "off screen" means,but wouln't uninstalling 2x the reinstalling give you a fresh start,then we'll pass on the steps to success.A 1/3 of the top of my screen above the directories shows thumbnails.
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

See the thread fgagnon mentioned.

http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?t=1051

The problem descirbed there is what's happening here. The thumbview window was detached from the main window and disappears from your screen if you are unlucky enough to get this done (I guess you haven't moved it around the screen and thus haven't encountered this problem)

The only way to get this right is to delete the pertaining registry key, as fgagnon already suggested. 'Reinstalling' will not help, because the registry is not cleared that way and the thumb bar will still be gone when you have reinstalled 2xExplorer.

The only thing Nikos suggests is the less drastic option of removing only part of the 2X settings which is relevant to the problem, so the other customized settings will remain.

I'm sure this will help anne154 solve the problem. 8)
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Moveing it

Post by zippit »

I just dragged it all over the place.It rejected being on top of my files or anywhere it shouldn't be,and it could be either Horizontal or vertical left or right.
I am useing equal panes horizontal,not vertical,up and down.Where did i go right ?
Is anyone else useing vertical split pane to see the results that anne has ?
I wish we had attachments here.
:roll:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Moveing it

Post by JRz »

zippit wrote:I just dragged it all over the place.It rejected being on top of my files or anywhere it shouldn't be,and it could be either Horizontal or vertical left or right.
OK, let me see if I can help you go wrong :) (I don't think you dragged it all over the place though)

Perhaps you have 2X sized to full screen, but even then, with the following scenario you too should be able to make the thumb bar disappear permanently.

[Ignore text below until the P.S. there the real solution lurks...]
1. Start 2X (obvious step)
2. if not shown already, make the thumb bar appear by pressing Alt+P
3. drag the thumb bar down to the windows task bar and release the mouse button when the title bar of the thumb bar is in the task bar.
4. Look for the thumb bar now and try to get it back by switching on/off using Alt+P.

If it is still there, you must be using at least a different windows version (I'm using XP Pro, SP1+). If it is not, I've succesfully taken you along the road of the mysteriously vanishing thumb bar :)

You might argue that it is foolish to drag the thumb bar to the task bar (and maybe other places around the borders of the screen may result in the same behaviour), but when it happens, you're in harms way. The only way to get it back is to tweak the registry!
Nikos suggestion of deleting the MainFrame Settings key from hive key folder

Code: Select all

HKCU\Software\ZabaraKatranemiaPlc\2xExplorer
is probably the best way to fix the problem.

Let me know if you succeed in getting the thumb bar to disappear...[/code]

[Edit]P.S. Just forget the above scenario; it gets better...

Sorry this gets to be a long story :(

In the above described scenario the thumb bar is merely hiding behind the taskbar and can be easily recovered by setting the taskbar in 'autohide' mode (when it folds itself out of the way when the mousepointer is moved away from it for a short period of time). The thumb bar title bar is visible again that way and can be dragged again.

No, the real problem is when you do the following (and this can happen inadvertently to anyone who is a bit to fanatic in dragging operations!!):

- You have 2X open and the thumb bar visible as a horizontal pane (with the draggable bar on the left-hand side!!
- now put the mouse pointer at the bottom of the drag bar of the thumb bar (or on the bottom edge) and drag the thumb bar to the top of your screen, as far as possible. When you release the mouse button it now detaches from the main window and you can have either of two situations:

1. you still see a little piece of bottom of the thumb bar
2. the thumb bar is gone all together!

In the first case you can still resize and drag the bar. I've managed to get the window back into docked mode when that happens.

But in the second case (this seems to happen the easiest if your original thumb window has a relatively small size) there is nothing left to drag around! Nothing will help you in this case but remove the key I mentioned above from the registry.

I think it is caused by the following circumstances: when the thumb bar is displayed in horizontal docked mode, the vertical draggable bar on the left hand side has a certain height. when you resize the undocked thumb bar to a smaller vertical size than this vertical bar and then redock the bar (you can dock/undock by double clicking on the title bar or the draggable bar) and finally drag it to the top of the screen while grabbing it at the bottom, the bar is being undocked and regains its size in undocked state, but has its left upper corner positioned as if it was still the height in docked mode, thus vanishing from the screen entirely. This is just me guessing at what happens of course, but it is an educated guess, based on what I can deduce from the facts (said Sherlock :wink: )

Maybe this can help. I do hope so :roll:
anne154

Post by anne154 »

My viewer window did not disappear; it is still quite visable. Rather it is locked to the top of the screen; I cannot move it, nor can I reset it within the 2xexplorer window. I can resize it, view graphics with it, ,however.

The top bar of the thumb pane only is outside the window area.

I wil try the registry fix.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

anne154 wrote:My viewer window did not disappear; it is still quite visable. Rather it is locked to the top of the screen; I cannot move it, nor can I reset it within the 2xexplorer window. I can resize it, view graphics with it, ,however.

The top bar of the thumb pane only is outside the window area.

I wil try the registry fix.
Ah, well then the registry fix might not be necessary!! If you can see the bottom of the thumb bar window, you should be able to drag it!! if you hover the mouse over the bottom edge of the window, the mouse cursor will change into the vertical resize symbol (moving up/down arrow in most cases, dependent on your cursor animation settings)

If you just move your mouse a tiny bit up, so the mouse pointer reappears as a normal arrow, you should be able to drag the window from there! takes a bit of precision, but it should work!!

Anyway, if you already applied the registry trick, it will also be fixed :)
anne154

Post by anne154 »

[quote="JRz]Ah, well then the registry fix might not be necessary!! If you can see the bottom of the thumb bar window, you should be able to drag it!! if you hover the mouse over the bottom edge of the window, the mouse cursor will change into the vertical resize symbol (moving up/down arrow in most cases, dependent on your cursor animation settings)

If you just move your mouse a tiny bit up, so the mouse pointer reappears as a normal arrow, you should be able to drag the window from there! takes a bit of precision, but it should work!!

Anyway, if you already applied the registry trick, it will also be fixed :)[/quote]

Thank you, thank you.

I had tried over and over to move the window with the arrow using my LT touchpad and left click button, to no avail. I finally hooked up my new mouse; simple fix, it worked beautifully.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

Glad to be of service :)

You see, with some perseverence we can get there in the end... 8)