Can't open scrap container (xplorer2 0.0.0.59)?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are you expecting a discount after all this? ;)

the full version will be free to try after all, so people will get the hang of it if they want. I can't understand how giving scraps away from free will increase sales of a "pro" version that is basically the same thing?

anyway, as a reality check for you, donations don't work. So I have nothing much to lose. And since I'm getting rather bored with development after all these years, a little money will help keep me stimulated!
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Money?? I thought the currency was beer kegs!

Anyways, Requiem, we will have an excellent help file to guide even the newbies.

But I agree with you to a limited extent: I am in favor of a limited-capacity scrap container.
rulle

Post by rulle »

Have a look at how Google text ads are served in the latest Opera beta version.

They are very unobtrusive to the user, and easily integrated in the GUI. Google ads will generate a little money, and if you don't want them you register the product. The percentage of users with a permanent internet connection (may not even be required, I don't know) should be high enough for this to be an option even for FM type software.
Requiem

Post by Requiem »

nikos wrote:are you expecting a discount after all this? ;)
No, i lost all my expectatives recently.
rulle wrote:Have a look at how Google text ads are served in the latest Opera beta version.
rulle has expectatives in you, ask him
narayan wrote:Money?? I thought the currency was beer kegs!

Anyways, Requiem, we will have an excellent help file to guide even the newbies.

But I agree with you to a limited extent: I am in favor of a limited-capacity scrap container.

narayan is one of your most enthusiastic fans (yes you've got fans! and you didn't have to be in saturday night live).

Narayan, scraps won't sell even with advanced documentation you need to learn to love them the hard way, I'd like no crippling but if nikos wants some beer kegs he should sell something easier to understand (i still suggest the ftp or remote folder loading),this way scrap containers will do the charming and ftp will do the selling...

If nikos locks the scrap he could simply lock the entire app and it will sell just as fine because scrapless even 2x makes a better FM

but nikos said he doesn't want to discuss this so I should just re-lurk now
Starsurfer
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starsurfer »

rulle wrote,
Have a look at how Google text ads are served in the latest..
They are very unobtrusive to the user, and easily integrated in the GUI.
I find them very obtrusive...
I tried opera some years back & didn't continue with it because of that.

Its a good browser though....
rulle

Post by rulle »

Starsurfer wrote:I find them very obtrusive...
They used to be obtrusive in all earlier versions, when they where standard upper-right-corner gif ads. IMHO text only ads are a different thing altogether. The current Opera beta is the only ad-supported program I can stand to have on my desktop for any duration.
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

Nikos wrote :
the full version will be free to try after all
so when is this full version going to be released? i have been checking back to this site regularly in eager expectation, but there is never any news! why all the secrecy?! why r u unhappy 2 discuss it?

please let us know wot is going on, i am quite prepared to pay for x2 anyway, it is one of my most loved apps and i feel if anyone deserves a bit of cash for their software creations it's nikos.

but at the mo we are stuck with a crippled alpha, and even if we wanna pay for the full version we can't! and we don't know how long it's gonna be this way! and to think i was just trying to learn how to use these scraps... :cry:
Requiem

Post by Requiem »

Starsurfer wrote:rulle wrote,
Have a look at how Google text ads are served in the latest..
They are very unobtrusive to the user, and easily integrated in the GUI.
I find them very obtrusive...

have you tried firefox already? You wont miss the gestures with extensions like optimoz (mouse gestures, rocket navigation, etc...) or (my favorite) pie menus! (by radialcontext) oops wrong for um :wink:

Back on topic no suggestion here is able to change destiny...
<echo effect>...your most popular product will be an outdated unsupported alpha debug build of x2...</echo effect>
Starsurfer
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starsurfer »

requiem wrote:
have you tried firefox already?
I take it you are referring to the same 'firefox' by the mozilla folks...
I'll try it after the 1.xx version..haven't checked though...
some of those extensions are available for mozilla too i think..
Starsurfer
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starsurfer »

Requiem wrote
Narayan, scraps won't sell even with advanced documentation you need to learn to love them the hard way,....
i disagree with that. - I honestly think it has a simplistic approach...comparing it to many apps that have all soughts of elaborate schemes falling from heaven.
what i'm trying to say is, even being new one can get something out of it.
Starsurfer
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starsurfer »

rulle wrote:
They used to be obtrusive in all earlier versions, when they where standard upper-right-corner gif ads. IMHO text only ads are a different thing altogether. The current Opera beta is the only ad-supported program I can stand to have on my desktop for any duration.
...think I believe that..
I have a friend who swears by it.. ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

kev:
the last few weeks i've been feverously writing code that will take us to the "promised land". I can't tell when this will be, but hopefully before summer. It is not just code, it is help files, graphics...

in the meantime betas of the free version will start flying much sooner. But as far as scraps are concerned, these will be "crippled", or rather excluded as I'd like to call it. My grandmother used to say "when somebody gifts you with a donkey, you don't check its teeth" :)
tonib95

Post by tonib95 »

Why worry if Nicos puts a price and limitations on the prog someone somewhere will crack it. Thats how it goes.
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

well i am not worried! because i have no doubt that it will be very reasonably priced and worth every penny!

shame on anyone who stoops low enough to pirate x2. i mean ripping off windows is one thing coz micro$oft are monopolising and aggressive, and bill gates is the richest man in the world....

but nikos is a lone programmer who has given the world 2xexplorer for free and invested god know how much time and effort in developing brilliant software applications for us all

i have no doubt that the only reason he has resorted to charging a fee for his work is coz he has tried relying on donations and it hasn't worked coz people r too flippin stingy

he deserves at least to be able to make a living out of doing all this great work, and anyway he is giving away a perfectly brilliant version for free with a few less features... wot more could u ask?! - do not rip him off!
Jaykul

pirates are teh suck

Post by Jaykul »

Someone should moderate those pirates into oblivion. It's just annoying to have people on a software support board suggesting you might consider pirating that very software.

I just found this thread because I came back to the forums since there haven't been any releases in so long. And while I'm really sad to hear it won't be free ... I, for one ... would be willing to pay a modest amount for x2, it's deffinitely one of the nicest file managers I've used. :?
--
::Jaykul