Second instance always minimized ?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

ruhmkorff2

Second instance always minimized ?

Post by ruhmkorff2 »

Hallo Nikos, everbody

One question: Using the x2lite beta, I observe the phenomenon that I cannot open a second instance of xplorer2 that is not minimized on start. Is this a "feature" of xplorer2 or a strange behaviour of my (litestep) shell? It doesnt happen with other applications.
Any way to turn it off ?

Thanks,

R.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

in general and assuming you have "save settings on exit" saved, x2 will start exactly as you last left it, and if that was minimized, it will start minimized next time
ruhmkorff2

Post by ruhmkorff2 »

Hi Nikos,

Thanks for your fast response.

No, I have save settings off. Even when I have the window in normal state, make save settings now, close and start as second instance, it still comes minimized.
I did not observe this with the last alpha.

However, xplorer2 is great and I appreciate you kept a free version.
Thanks,

R.
ruhmkorff2

Post by ruhmkorff2 »

A little more information:

It only happens when I start using defined configuration (/S:Folder).
When I use the xplorer2 to start a second instance without using the configurations it starts normal.
First instance is also OK with using configuration.

R.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so it looks like your second configuration is in minimized mode!
when you do "save settings now" you only affect the active window
you should do a save settings now to your /S:folder too
ruhmkorff2

Post by ruhmkorff2 »

No, I dont have anything in minimized mode.

I tried following: Opening xplorer2 with /S:folder (starts normal) and then again xplorer2 with /S:folder (starts minimized).
I already deleted the regestry entries for one configuration and created it completely new, but always, when opened in second instance it is minimized.

For reproducing please try following: First starting xplorer2 using a defined layout and then keeping the window open again start xplorer2 using any defined layout. Second should come minimized regardless of layout.

Needless to say I dont have any Ps in the commandline.

R.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i can't reproduce that (XP)
how do you start it, you have multiple shortcuts on your desktop? check their properties

why don't you try opening the 2nd instance from the Window menu? You can have a shortcut key too!
ruhmkorff2

Post by ruhmkorff2 »

Interesting.....

As mentioned above, maybe litestep has something to do with it.
The shell has a series of "buttons" that start a commandline for opening my most used folders (like "xplorer2.exe /S:folder C:\pictures") in defined configurations :D .
I noticed that I can work much faster that way, instead of clicking trough the directory tree. I just open as many instances I need, one click each, zac. I really like that. Now, with the new beta, I need one click more (for normalizing the window) :( .
The commandlines work perfect with the last alpha of xplorer2 and with 2xExplorer, and the new version also opens right in first instance, but not in second. So I dont think there is anything wrong with the synthax.

When you tried to reproduce it, did you start the second instance from within or outside of xplorer2? I mean, in my case Litestep triggers both instances.

I will check if litestep is involved. Thanks anyway,

R.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i don't know anything about litestep but such issues have popped up before in the forum: try a search for "litestep"
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

I can reproduce that only when my saved layout is fresh. This means that on starting the instance using the saved layout the beta warning is showing up (after I restore my window).
But when I discarded the warning (and not allowing to reappear by checking the checkbox) the windows created from the saved layout appear as normal windows, even when the initial instance (started with default layout) started as minimized!!

Maybe something similar is happening in your case ruhmkorff2??
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
ruhmkorff2

Post by ruhmkorff2 »

Thanks JRz,

No, I am afraid not. I have already deactivated all popup windows at startup and saved the layouts.
It is a strange phenomenon. After some tests, I must say also the latest alpha has sometimes strange window placement in second instance.
2xexplorer works perfect in any case. I am getting curious. I will post here as soon as I know more about it.

R.
ruhmkorff2

Post by ruhmkorff2 »

Simple solution: I modified my commandlines now using the /P switch for separate processes.
This works and is fine for me.

Id like to mention that the combination of litestep and xplorer2 gives a shell that really rocks, I mean this is more than just cosmetics or avoiding micros~1 but seriously enhanced functionality, while keeping ease of use. I guess I will be in for the pro version.

Thanks again,

R.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

ruhmkorff2 wrote:Simple solution: I modified my commandlines now using the /P switch for separate processes.
[...]
Hmmm, I call that a workaround, not a solution :twisted:

But still, if you're satisfied with it...

I'd like to know why the 'normal' procedure won't work... :?:
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I have not seen the start minimized behaviour; but have noticed that x2 takes care to place each later-instance window on the "bottom" of the stack of open windows on the desktop [edit:add] on XP/sp1; but new instances get put on top on w98.
I don't understand this OS-dependent position in window stack, but thought
there might be a clue there regarding how litestep handles this -- esp if LS reserves a particular position window handle for special use. :?
ruhmkorff2

Post by ruhmkorff2 »

I guess I do not have many applications that would start on a second launch same process (Mozilla, Explorer ?). But these applications do not start minimized on second launch in litestep.
ad. fgagnon:
Yes, I think thats it. But in my setup (XP without SP1 + LS) xplorer alpha comes second instance on bottom or minimized in a unpredictable manner, xplorer beta seems always minimized.
As far as I know, litestep only preserves a special window for the module that makes the desktop (desktopbackgroundclass).

R.