can't open xplorer2

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

awesomecheese

can't open xplorer2

Post by awesomecheese »

I installed xplorer2, but I can't open it. When I click the exe, I get the message:

This xplorer2 demo has expired and will terminate.

I'm running Win 98 SE, I havn't been able to use it at all, using 0.9.0.77

Thanks,
Matt
It has been said
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

check your clock or, if that's ok, search for files with dates in the future
petert1401

Post by petert1401 »

I've got the same problem. Clock is fine, no files with dates in the future, but I get 'demo has expired and will terminate' message.

Beta Lite version downloaded 8am GMT 4th June, version stamp = 0.9.0.77

Windows Server 2003 if it makes any difference.
Looks like it's back to Directory Opus, for now at least...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

have you searched all your drives including hidden files in all subfolders? It could also be a folder date to blame!
try 2xExplorer's find command
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

What happens if a file in network neighborhood/mapped drive/removable drives (CDs/floppies/zip drives) had a future date?

If such files can cause x2 to lock up, they would be hard to find and correct!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

obviously i can't tell you where x2 is searching but rest assured it is on the local machine!
petert1401

Post by petert1401 »

[quote="nikos"]obviously i can't tell you where x2 is searching but rest assured it is on the local machine![/quote]

So Nikos, assuming I do find one or more offending files/folders using 2xExplorers Find command, can I assume that you'd rather I didn't blurt out on the Forum where they were? :D

Time to go lookin'...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

right on! ;)
petert1401

Post by petert1401 »

OK, I looked for files & folders with createtion dates in the future and found a few - 998 actually. The vast majority are in 'Temporary Internet Files', several are development files copied from one of the machines at my workplace which obviously must have a squiffy clock. There are no obvious system files with offending dates.

QuickTime installed an offending file, SharePoint Portal Server installed many. I suppose spend a while 'touching' all the offending files, but frankly installing an app shouldn't be that much hassle - no other app has ever refused to install on this machine so why does Explorer2 have to be quite so picky?

I guess I'll do without until such time as Explorer2 becomes a bit less aggressive in its date-checking methods.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

even if this wasn't a time-expiring demo you'd face a brick wall with the pro version too, since the 21 day period would immediately "expire" and it wouldn't start, unless you entered a valid registration code

i'm sorry but i've got my IP to protect
once the "lite" version becomes final it won't have any expiry dates and you can check it

then you'll tell me whether it is worth getting your system dates in order :)
petert1401

Post by petert1401 »

Yep, you've got your IP to protect, but the fact is that there is nothing wrong with my system clock; it is not, and never has been set to the future. 2x is refusing to run because some third-party applications have copied files to my machine which have anomalous creation dates.

These files have nothing to do with 2x, and 2x shouldn't be using them to determine that the beta has expired when clearly it's done no such thing.

An example: There are some files on my PC which I've copied from my digital camera. The camera hasn't had it's date set since I put new batteries in it and the pictures therefore have a creation date of sometime in 2037. Is 2x refusing to run because I haven't set the date correctly in my camera? C'mon Nikos, the problem is with the date-checking code in 2x, not with my PC - you can do better than that....
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

have you heard of fakedate?
in the end of the day x2 doesn't check all your files, only those that would indicate foul play
petert1401

Post by petert1401 »

Yes, but there is and never has been anything wrong with my system clock and I'm not going to mess with date fakers it just to get x2 to run. At the end of the day, it's x2's problem - it's wrongly determined that there has been 'foul play' on my system.

Maybe I'll take a peek with NTFILEMON & find out exactly what x2 is looking for; then again, maybe I'll stick with Directory Opus.

Good luck with the commercial venture - I hope there aren't too many potential customers out there with machines like mine :(
petert1401

Post by petert1401 »

OK, NTFILEMON showed me what the problem was and x2 now starts up. I'll switch to email to explain why I think that the mechanism that x2 uses to determine 'foul play' is flawed.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

obviously you aren't using fakedate!
unfortunately you are caught in a situation like "for a few terrorists everybody has to wait for hours in airports check-in"

and i sincerely hope not all developers' machines are like yours :)