New version (May 31, 2004) is very slow when listing folders

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

on my system both explorer and xplorer2 are faster than 2x (see the comparison table in the "lite" page in the website)

the only way 2x can be faster is if you have loads of slow columns
(but then again as you say your explorer is much slower so there could be another problem there)

also keep in mind the delay loading feature. You can start working with x2 almost immediately, as soon as the wait cursor is turned to normal. It may seem that x2 is still busy but it won't interfere with your work
the update is significantly slower. It can take up to one full second
again this is an optimization
instead of updating immediately when a change is sensed, x2 will wait for 1 second to see if there are any other relevant events coming and will then process everything in one stroke

this makes a lot of sense in large/slow folders
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Delay activating MyDocs folder when sync'd with treepane

Post by fgagnon »

{Posting observations duplicated in PM correspondence on the subject with nikos... (plus editorial comment) }

I believe I have narrowed down the condition(s) for long delay in activating a large folder (at least in my case).

Not only does it only happen on "first enounter" with first x2 operation after boot; but also only with option activated for
Tools | Options... /Window\ Tree
[x] Keep synchronized with folder in active view pane

... and the only folder I have found with the delay is My Documents

Other similar & larger sized folders 'nearby' in the tee & elswhere do not exhibit this delay for me.
All this on XP-Pro, sp1 & currently with x2-Pro v[1.0.0.1]

So I guess the message for the moment is:
"Don't sync the tree with folder view panes if you want fastest speed for big or 'unusual' folders like My Documents." ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is even more wacko!
* this "My documents", is it the virtual folder on your desktop or the real folder at c:\doks\myself? Do the 2 behave differently

* could it be icon related? The first time you open the tree (without auto-sync) and you expand a node that exposes "My documents", does it take ages too?
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

I never use the tree view (quite happy without it :) ), but couldn't resist trying it to see what happens in my case.

@work I have access to a network folder on an otherwise restricted environment. I enabled the tree view and set 'Keep synchronized with folder in active view pane' to enabled too.

When I navigate to the folder using the pane (through bookmark or otherwise), it takes 60 seconds (time-out period??) for the tree to get updated and it ends in an error: access is denied to the network this folder belongs to.
Could be normal since I have no rights on anything else than than that folder alone.

Same happens if I enable the tree when I'm already in that folder in a pane. Takes 60 seconds and then it concludes it can't be accessed.

If I switch to a folder that can be browsed to and then back again to the folder which doesn't show in the tree, X² updates the tree to the folder I switched to alright and upon returning to the offending folder immediately beeps and the tree is not updated at all (stays focused on the previous location)!

When I close the tree view and reopen it while in the offending folder, it takes 60 seconds again to come to the conclusion it's no use :(

Nikos, I think this is not exactly the problem being discussed here in this thread but it might well be related to it. Maybe it helps :?
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you had enough rights to read it, would it still take 60 seconds?
does the "login" dialog come up?

anyway in the last few versions, tree node expansion is ESCapable, too, so you can press ESC and not have to wait 1 minute for the timeout
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

In dozens of tries, I have yet to see the delay with autosync off.

with auto sync ON, I (usually) see the delay if first encounter with MyDocs
is begun from either
* click in inactive top pane set at MyDocs
or
* toolbar button of bookmark to MyDocs

For the intentional cases of activating MyDocs via
* MyDocs on treepane Desktop root, and
* Alt+LeftArrow
On one try each I did not get the delay (but could not get delay with any combo on those two tries).

Problem is a bother to test because I only get one try at it before needing to reboot for next try. (Sometimes two-three 'tries' until one evokes the delay; and sometimes no delay for any combo I can find.)
Note that I can start x2 after boot with treesync OFF and not have the delay; but then after I turn autosync ON, I can get the delay on next encounter with MyDocs via above two 'paths'. :crazy:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you need to reboot to have it happen, it certainly isn't that important. I thought it happened every time you started x2
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

nikos wrote:if you had enough rights to read it, would it still take 60 seconds?
does the "login" dialog come up?
It's pretty strange. On a machine where I have administrator rights, I still get the behaviour I described above. It seems our network administrators have managed to disable brwosing the network neighbourhood (I think that's what is required for X² to be able to axpand the network folder in the tree??)

I get no login dialog, simply a dialog that says I'm not authorized and that the list of servers for this workgroup is not available. I'd show you the dialog but it's all in Dutch :) (Comes from our network administrators I presume)
nikos wrote:anyway in the last few versions, tree node expansion is ESCapable, too, so you can press ESC and not have to wait 1 minute for the timeout
You think it is... but it's not!! X² goes into the freezer for 1 minute. Escaping won't let you escape :)
The tree shows only the workgroups in our Microsoft network. It seems X² can't get beyond this boundary.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

does it say "press ESC to cancel" or something like that on the statusbar?

the network neighborhood behaviour is strange, but as long as your explorer does the same it's fine by me!
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

nikos wrote:does it say "press ESC to cancel" or something like that on the statusbar?

the network neighborhood behaviour is strange, but as long as your explorer does the same it's fine by me!
Doesn't say "press ESC to cancel"!!

M$ Explorer works like a charm (I hate to admit :( ). Tree is showing folder and expanded folders above it in the hierarchy as one would expect.

So only X² has trouble here :?

[Edit:add]I discovered a little bit more. When I have the workgroups/domains visible in the tree there are plus (+) signs in front of the groups/domains. When I click the plus-sign the status bar does show the "Esc to cancel" message and the action is escapable!
When I click on the workgroup or domain name itself, the message doesn't show up and you can sip your coffee for a minute :) because this is not escapable!![/Edit]
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

way too complicated!

first of all, can you read these network neighborhood folders, workgroups etc in x2 without the tree getting in the way? What about 2xExplorer? (we already established that explorer does it ok)