Highlight not working.

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

tony

Highlight not working.

Post by tony »

I use to be able to just hover over a file using 2xExplorer and it would highlight it but with xplorer2 it will not highlight the file. I have to right click on it to highlight. I don't know if this feature is in the pro version, it better not be because I am angry enough that almost all of my freeware becomes shareware. I will not pay and find another program if this feature is in the pro version.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Tony,

In the xplorer2 program, as in 2xExplorer, there is a user-option for single click activation.
In 2xExplorer, this also results in the item being "selected" (shown by being highlighted) when you hover over the item, as you describe.
In xplorer2, the single click option results in slightly different behaviour: the item under the cursor is underlined to indicate it is ready for activation with a single click; but no longer does this item's "ready-for-activation" status destroy the selection of other items by becoming the single selected item. (same for "Lite" & "Pro" versions)
This is considered an improvement by most users.
If you disagree, please explain your usage, and maybe someone can help find another way that x2 can do what you want as easily as 2x ever did. :)

But first, try it out:
set Tools | Options... /Window\ <> Single click activation
and work with x2 a bit.

It DOES have a slightly different 'feel' from 2x; but (to me, at least) it is significantly more functional. (of course I have not spent years getting used to 2x, so I had less to UN-learn ;)

As for your lament, it sounds like you are a discrimanting user who has found only the best free ware, and you are lamenting that time & again your favorites become shareware; (& I agree) ...
I congratulate you on your good taste; but encourage you to recognize that it is only fair that good toolmakers be paid for their efforts.
It's a win-win situation: The tool maker can stay in business and make more & better tools, and you get more & better tools to use.
Furthermore; you can contribute to the evolution of better tools by expaining how you use the tool, and why it is so valuable that way: again, that winds up to be win-win. :D

Enjoy !

Post by Guest »

I know when I highlight it shows the popup discription which I like but does not highlight. Also the popup discription does not show on mp3 files. I am just so use to 2xExplorer so I will have to get use to this.

As for shareware at least you included most of the features in the light version and did not decide make the entire program shareware and put nags all over the place and force people to pay to use the program which so much freeware does. I just got annoyed because I was not sure if that feature was in the full version but it does the same in both versions.

I don't even use Windows Explorer no more because when it crashes or freezes and does it freeze alot it always brings down all of windows which causes me to reboot.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I hate it when that happens ...
So much so that I bought & installed more RAM.
Since then things have been MUCH better on my machine(s), especially the w98. :)
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

I use to be able to just hover over a file using 2xExplorer and it would highlight it but with xplorer2 it will not highlight the file.

I have my x2 working the way you describe. When I hover over an item it becomes selected, and replaces the current selection. If I select a set of files and move to the other pane and back, I will retain the selection only if I move onto part of it.

The bad news is I'm not sure how I got there. It may be because my M$ Explorer is set to "Single-click to open (point to select)" (Tools > Folder OPtions > Click items as follows). Or it may be an X2 registry tweak I have forgotten. Someone else will know :wink:
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

My question to you guys is:
What is the next operation for the "highlighted" file?

& then the nar~ Q: "counting the click(s) to do that as well, has it taken more/less clicks, in total, with one tool or the other?"
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

all the rage is about this "trackselect" feature that 2x had and x2 didn't
trackselection is incompatible with x2's sticky selection mode (try it in 2x and you'll see it screws up)

for the moment you can turn it on only through registry editing; just copy lvsExtendedStyle from 2x's registry key to x2. But don't expect to be able to use Alt+S any more!
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

lvsExtendedStyle

Yes, that's what I did. As I recall I was planning to figure out how this sticky selection thing worked but in the meantime I would keep the behavior I was used to.

I really should get around to exploring the alternatives. :)