Add Filter buttons to toolbar?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

e2mtt

Add Filter buttons to toolbar?

Post by e2mtt »

Please help me out... How do I add buttons to the customizable toolbar for the Filter commands (my favorite feature). I know the Ctrl H & J shortcuts, but I don't know how to get them into a visible toolbar button.

I also would like to be able to make buttons for a certain filter, ie: filter *.txt + *.log + *.readme , so I could have a 1-button filter to view a standard set of file types.

Thanks. Longtime 2ex & x2 user, will probably buy the pro version if I can get it to work the way I want it to.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

unfortunately you can only set buttons for menu items that have images and none of the filter commands do

what works for me is using ctrl+J and typing part of the filter i'm after (e.g. cpp) and then use up-arrow to fetch the first completion (matching comma-separated filter i typed earlier)

that's all x2 can do for the moment!
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

nikos wrote:[...] what works for me is using ctrl+J and typing part of the filter i'm after (e.g. cpp) and then use up-arrow to fetch the first completion (matching comma-separated filter i typed earlier)
[...]
I think Nikos means hitting Ctrl+H here, and then type a (partial) filter pattern and hit the up arrow to cycle through previous used filters matching the (partial) pattern.
Ctrl+J simply applies the last used filter for the active pane (filters share a common 'most recently used' list but the last one used is saved separately for both panes!)
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
e2mtt

Post by e2mtt »

I do know how to use the filters - I use them all the time and they are one of the main reasons why I use xplorer2. I just really want buttons for them.

x2 alpha had a Filter toggle button, and I seem to remember that 2ex had a button for both the toggle and to select the filter condition.

I think that all of the commands available in the menu should also be able to put on the toolbars... if it is because you don't have graphics yet maybe some user would be so kind as to make you icons for all of the other commands? The are people out their who make loads of icons just for the fun of it and put them up on skin and customizing sites.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i have in a few occasions asked for designers to come forward but noone took the call of duty :)

anyway, it wouldn't help for what you want since there is no such thing as customizable visible filters yet (like the other lists in customize menu). Perhaps in a future version

ps jrz i meant ctrl+H of course :oops:
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

nikos wrote:[...]ps jrz i meant ctrl+H of course :oops:
You're forgiven :lol:
e2mtt

Post by e2mtt »

OK for now I will continue to just use CTRL+H to bring up the filter definition box, and CTRL+J to turn them on and off. I hope to eventually have these tool buttons on the toolbar, using a future upgrade.

On another note, as I think more about my other filter idea, one of the things I have thought about is being able just throw all of my files into one folder, and then have custom buttons in a toolbar or sidebar, that would filter the view, to allow you to see for instance only .txt or .xls files, or only files modified this week, or only files larger than 5MB, etc. You could then expand this to include meta information in the file comments, so you could create virtual folders that would contain a variety of files, grouped by the comment information that assigned them to a particular project or subject.

Another idea I had about filtering was making it so that a right click or hotkey in a column header would focus your typing in a little box there, that would them perform a type-ahead lookup AND view filter on that column.

Many of these items are similar to the way the Opera browser handles mail and bookmarks.

Anyway, Xplorer2 is very cool. keep up the good work.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

e2mtt wrote:[...] On another note, as I think more about my other filter idea, one of the things I have thought about is being able just throw all of my files into one folder, and then have custom buttons in a toolbar or sidebar, that would filter the view, to allow you to see for instance only .txt or .xls files, or only files modified this week, or only files larger than 5MB, etc. You could then expand this to include meta information in the file comments, so you could create virtual folders that would contain a variety of files, grouped by the comment information that assigned them to a particular project or subject. [...]
apart from the toolbar buttons, you can achieve this very easily in the X² Pro version by using scrap containers. You can throw in stuff from any folder in one scrap container and use filtering or the search faciliy for more advanced filtering (in combination with Ctrl+Alt+J, which hides all files not selected right now)

very cool 8)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so basically what you want is hyperfilter-based visual filtering
(on top of mark | using a rule)
i think i have this in my list already
rhonig

Post by rhonig »

-I would like to reiterate e2mitt's suggestions regarding the importance of filter commands. I use them alot in 2xExplorer and miss the same functionality found in Xplorer2.
-I too would like to see a filter tool bar button. Perhaps one that could display historical filters to select from. Maybe similar to the 'Visual Filter' Wildcard.
-The filters should be remembered after the program is downed then re-launched. Currently, I have to reset using [CTRL][J] or [CTRL][H].
-Also after pressing [F9] to sych two panes there is no need for the 'At least one pane has an active visual filter...' message if both have the same filter.
-I really like the 'Visual Filter/Selected Only'. I would however like to see it as a toggle rather than go back to [CTRL][H]

Congratulations on a v-e-r-y good utility program.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i can't think of any filtering mechanizm in 2x that's missing from x2!

Visual Filter | Selected Only is an unstable mode that is easy to get rid off: 2 ctrl+J in a row should do it (or one View | Show all)
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

rhonig wrote:Also after pressing [F9] to sych two panes there is no need for the 'At least one pane has an active visual filter...' message if both have the same filter
Very good point!
Maybe it would also be useful to be able to set filtering on the inactive pane, based on the filter in the active pane (much like Ctrl+I to get the inactive pane to show the same folder as the active pane). This would make it very easy to make quick comparisons having a filtered view of both folders.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

nikos wrote:[...]Visual Filter | Selected Only is an unstable mode that is easy to get rid off: 2 ctrl+J in a row should do it (or one View | Show all)
A refresh will lose this filter too (Ctrl+R) ;)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Good suggestion for a provision to apply the same filter to both panels!

** In that case, the filter indicator (in status bar) should change to "A stack of (two) funnels".

** Also make this indicator into a button: the user can toiggle the filter off by clicking on this indicator itself. (This is a common technique used in browsers like Mozilla).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

some good points here i have to say