Lack of Unicode just ain't right

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

J44xm

Lack of Unicode just ain't right

Post by J44xm »

I've come to accept xplorer² Lite's limitations -- except for one. Why is there no "Unicode version available" for xL? Unicode shouldn't be considered an add-on. I download Asian music sometimes, and I like to keep the original Asian characters. But now I can't even title or access these tracks correctly from within xL. And that's not to mention the glaring even-Explorer-does-this! quality of it all.

I don't mean to sound unthankful, but I just really think it's not proper for xL not to have Unicode built-in! It's just not right, and I'd bet it stops a good chunk of people from using xL.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i think there are settings in windows control panel that fix that kind of problems. I know this to be the case since 2x has been used for ages in far eastern countries and i've seen some really interesting snapshots!

i regret that i can't possibly maintain 2 separate builds of the free version
J44xm

Post by J44xm »

Thanks for replying, Nikos. Are we sure that Unicode-handling can be enabled through the Control Panel? Since it works fine in Explorer, wouldn't that mean that Unicode already is enabled on my machine? (For the record, I'm running WinXP Home.)

Also, forgive me, but I didn't understand your comment about maintaining two different builds of X2. If, hypothetically, you were able to and did add Unicode support to the program, couldn't you just do that and keep a single build? Ever feel like your missing something? ^_^
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

unicode builds won't run on win9x
if there's a single version it has to be ansi, not unicode

what i mentioned is not about enabling unicode to your system
(it either supports it or it doesn't)
there are some options in the control panel that set the locale (?) of all non-unicode programs so that they behave better despite being ansi

i can't give you any more info since i don't know how this works