2xExplorer
11%
xplorer2
89%

Total votes: 9

champ

Status Bar layout is flawed and not user friendly

Post by champ »

When I select files/folders in 2xExplorer the status bar information is well laid out and clear. In xplorer2, it is not clear because the status bar area is strangely divided using an obscure layout scheme.

For example, if I select 2 objects (1 file/1 folder) in 2xExplorer, the bottom-right status bar will tell me:

Code: Select all

2 objects selected, 201,326,592 bytes in total
Excellent! It tells me only what I need to know:
1) How many objects are selected
2) The total size of the selected files.

Now, if I select the same 2 objects in xplorer2, the bottom-right status bar will tell me:

file 201,326,592b; Modified 6/11/2004 8:45:04 PM ..... 2: 192 MB
What! The above is what's displayed if the last selected object was a file. Now look what it tells me if the last selected object was a folder:

folder 0b; Modified 5/23/2001 9:33:06 PM ..... 2: 192 MB
Note: The five periods above represent the divider within the status bar.

Here is the problem with the xplorer2's layout:

1) The modified date/timestamp section should only be displayed when one object is selected. If multiple objects are selected, it should never appear, just as it never appears within 2xExplorer. It shouldn't appear with multiple selected objects because it's only giving me the timestamp of the last object selected. When I'm selecting multiple files I'm only concerned with total data, not the last highlited item. The Modified section is just getting in the way. If I need to know the timestamp of the last select object I merely need to shift my eyeball upwards about 3 inches and look in the "Modified" column of the file pane.

I've used about a dozen file managers and they approach this all the same:

* If there's one object selected, display the total bytes + timestamp in the status bar
* If there are multiple object selected, display the total # of objects selected + the total size of the selected objects

2) The beginning of the line either starts with "file # of" or "folder # of" or "link # of"

Once again I'm looking for total data, and you're giving me the properties of the last selected object. If I have 3000 files selected, xplorer2 is devouring virtually all of the status bar space to give me the properties of a single object (# 3000 of 3000).

If the last object selected was a folder then the byte count would always be 0, which will always be useless information. The folder byte info would only be useful after I ran the "Subfolder size CTRL+D" command on that particular pane.

3) I know that on the far right of the status bar you do provide the # of the total files selected as well as the total bytes, but it makes no sense to have it split up like this. 2xExplorer's approach was smart by placing this information right next to each other. I was able to read the complete total data without shifting my eyes. With xplorer2 my eyes have to shift from left to right. This is a big deal in terms of usability. Think of why all newspapers, magazines, and the majority of webblogs columnize their text. Notice how much easier it is to read something on a webspage when your eyes and head don't have to move past 300-400 pixels. This is standard usability and design.

Showing me

2: 192 MB
isn't helpful because there should be some term separating the file count digit(s) and the total selected size count. Separating it by just a colon is scrunching it up to the point where reading it becomes difficult. It's like one of those websites with the obscure navigation settings that force you to "figure out" how it works.

Also, you're not even telling me the exact number of bytes selected. You're rounding up by kb/MB/GB) even though my options are set to "Report all file sizes in bytes"

Summary:

When I'm selecting multiple files I'm looking for total data. With xplorer2's current layout I have to look to the far-left of the status bar, then look to the far-right in order to get a semi-complete picture of the total data. And even then, I still only have totals which were rounded up.

Bottomline, I'm appealing to you to rethink the bottom-right status bar layout and return to 2xExplorer's method because this is the status quo of file managament as I've experienced throughout the years. For me this is a big deal in terms of usability. It's such a big deal for me that I'd forgo purchasing an xplorer2 license and continue using 2xExplorer or an alternative file manager.

This reminds me of a Philips portable CD player I purchased about 3 years ago. The button layout was brilliant, because it was simple, thoughtful, and universally understood:

<< Prev Track | Play/Pause | Stop | Next Track >>
It's the same approach taken by virtually all settop CD players, car stereos, and even winamp uses this layout.

Now what if winamp decideced to change the layout like so:

<< Prev Track | Next Track >> | Play/Pause | Stop
If they did that, winamp users would scream bloody murder. Not because they've changed the "winamp style" they've become used to, but because they've drifted away from the universally recognized method of CD/media button layouts.

Guess what my current Philips CD player's layout is:

Play/Pause | << Prev Track | Next Track >> | Stop
... and I hate it.

I honestly believe there are many xplorer2 users who feel the same way, but how many would put forth the effort the make the case and post a detailed plea like this on the forum?
Last edited by champ on 2004 Jun 12, 05:03, edited 2 times in total.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Yes, the status bar in x2 is different from 2x.
It was designed that way with good intent.
It displayes more information and tries to do so in a compact way.

Please read the Quick start guide carefully to understand the new design.
Especially regarding the difference between selected item(s) and the singular item in focus.

Once you understand what is being presented, you may find it less objectionable. As with all new designs, there have been compromises, there is room for improvement, and you have pointed out some valid considerations. I'm sure there will be changes in the future. Please continue the dialogue.
Luther

Post by Luther »

At first I found myself slightly put off by champ's in-your-face style, but then I began reading his arguments, and I found myself agreeing with most of them. Change is sometimes good, but - as champ points out - change for the sake of change in this case is not so good.

fgagnon: I found your reply to be somewhat condescending. champ made several valid points, with detailed reasoning, and you essentially blew him off with "Once you understand what is being presented, you may find it less objectionable." If you don't want to take the time to address champ's points in detail, that's fine; I just think he deserves a better response than what you gave.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

Well, as an advocate of X², let me add a remark about the displaying of the single file/folder info in the X² status bar.

It is there for a reason. It does not display the info on the 'last' selected file, but on the file which has the current focus! Try to do the following:

select some files (for instance a consequtive block). Now the last file you selected will have its info displayed in the status bar. Now hit Ctrl+Up. You'll notice the focus shifts up one position (you can even go out of the selected block if you wish) and the status bar displays the file/folder info for the focused file/folder.

So the statusbar always shows you info on whatever file/folder you are currently focused on. Very consistent behaviour in my view.

Maybe it takes some getting used to, I agree 8)
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the new design is much more powerful. It contains all the information in 2x and adds more.

when i select items, i seldom do it in one go; i select some, then select some more. Having the ability to check the details of the focused item while continuing the browsing with an existing selection can't be bad, especially if you are in list mode with sticky selection on

i agree with fred that it is a change for the better although you may need to break some habits; think the transition from win3.1 -> win95 :)
champ

Post by champ »

nikos wrote:the new design is much more powerful. It contains all the information in 2x and adds more.

when i select items, i seldom do it in one go; i select some, then select some more. Having the ability to check the details of the focused item while continuing the browsing with an existing selection can't be bad, especially if you are in list mode with sticky selection on

i agree with fred that it is a change for the better although you may need to break some habits; think the transition from win3.1 -> win95 :)
Well I gave it a shot!

This reminds me of a silly thread I happened upon on the mp3 tag studio support forums:
http://www.magnusbrading.com/cgi-bin/ib ... ;f=2;t=218

The topic of the thread was a user complaining about the forum's ugly color layout: orange and gray text on a black background. The forum admin/program developer responded with:
The gray isn't used very much at all (and also, it's a light gray hue, making it quite high contast with the black), and the main orange-on-black combination is quite high contrast too I would say.

.....I like the colors in the Mp3/Tag Studio areas.

Thanks for the input.
I found KeithC's follow-up post to be hilarious:
With all due respect, orange on black is *not* high contrast.

.....Furthermore, while you might be satisfied with the color scheme, the point of design is to make your users' satisfied.

.....Please don't take this critique personally. I find many programmers find UI to be an elusive art. I recommend some research into this field.
Not one user agreed with the author's preference as reflected by the harsh follow-up posts. He eventually gave in and promised to provide forum skins when he has more time.

You're saying the new approach you've implemented is "a change for the better." I respectfully disagree. Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks so. I don't think there is a right or wrong, superior or inferior. There is only preference.

I've tried to provide a cohesive and detailed argument, but I have failed to convince you. I wouldn't have bothered with this write-up if I did not have such admiration for you and your software. I was hoping to evolve from 2xExplorer to xplorer2, but for now I'll stay with 2xExplorer.

The only thing left for me to do is ask that you consider providing an "option/setting" for the user to switch xplorer2's status bar style to 2xExplorer's style, just like the forum owner above decided to eventually provide forum skins for those users who don't share his eclectic color tastes.

Whatever you decide to do (or not do) I appreciate your sharing 2xExplorer and xplorer2 with the world.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

but you have got to concede that the poll isn't doing much for your cause :)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Luther, you are right (on both counts)

champ, I apologize for the "condescending" words.
As Luther pointed out, your "in your face" method of expression is an initial put-off; and I was responding largely to that. :oops:
It was not until I had calmed down after reading through your objective details, that I became more objective myself; but I missed deleteing that part of my initial composition. Again, I offer my apologies.
... and I do hope you continue to contribute your ideas.

-Fred-
Luther

Post by Luther »

Thank you for taking my comments constructively.

Oftentimes when I am reading these posts I am struck by how few people take the time to thank nikos for his great software - that's what brings us together, isn't it?

Anyway, I appreciate detailed posts like champ's because it makes me think in depth about xplorer2, and I hope that will result in even better versions in the future.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

no problem.

I am embarassed to find the shoe on the other foot; because I have often posted (& PM'd) to folks about attitude & the benefits of keeping things constructive.
All I can say as explanation (not in defense) is that it had been a late night, and I had recently fielded a really negative post to try & turn it around & I then mis-read champ's sarcasm-for-effect, as "another negative bleep". However, reading it through carefully the next day, I see that it was really well-thought-out, & I appreciate it now.

I just gotta learn to turn off the cyclops, when I get too tired to think straight -- or at least to not post or reply to anything myself. :shrug: