Scrap frame in regular window?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

e2mtt

Scrap frame in regular window?

Post by e2mtt »

Is it possible, or would it be possible, to open a scrap window as one of the 2 frames in the standard x2 window view? Sometimes having it open in a new window is great, but many times I would prefer the scrap window to just be in the regular view.

Uses would include dragging from various folders on the left hand pane, into the scrap on the right, without having to to switch to a different window on the windows taskbar, and the one I want the most, where when you do a file search, the lookup could just replace the view that was visible when you first searched.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

This is already in the wishlist.

However, you would appreciate that new features are added in the order of their importance.
e2mtt

Post by e2mtt »

cool.

where is the wishlist so I can go read it?
However, you would appreciate that new features are added in the order of their importance.
Um... what feature are in line ahead of this? Now I am curious. Can I go to a list and rank the feature's desirability? Maybe get my favorites moved up the list?
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

The list is not public. ;)

And there are some very exciting features in it... Visit often (say once a month) the website to check up for updates!

Cheers!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you implicitly decide on features' position in the list when you make a lot of noise about them :) The more noise, the higher they go

coming to this wish in particular, although initially it would make sense, you'll realize that it doesn't: how's the scrap view going to interact with the tree, and e.g. what is it going to do when it is active and the user uses the Bookmark menu? Many commands don't make sense and are even incompatible

however, there's this very easy way so send items to scraps: just select and hit <ctrl+S>. No dragging, or fumbling with the taskbar required!
e2mtt

Post by e2mtt »

nikos-

Yeah I agree with your points, I just figured that we would have to live with the fact that the bookmarks wouldn't save in that folder, and status and address bar might just say *scrap* instead of any meaningful info, and the tree wouldn't follow, but would instead stay on the last place you were.

My primary reason for why I got to thinking about this is that very often I am in a folder - a large folder with hundreds of files - and I hit CTRL+F and type a few letters that define the items i am looking for. When the scrap frame comes up, with perhaps 5 or 10 results, I open the one I want. After a few hours of work, I have a bunch of scrap frames open all over the place.

Like I said, keep up the good work. I went and checked out some other file browsers this morning (ones that Anders recommended in that other post) and xplorer2 still rules.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you want to "search" within a folder (without its subfolders) use Alt+G mark | matching a rule. No need to use <ctrl+F>!
e2mtt

Post by e2mtt »

Fantastic... when you use ALT+G, then use the "selected only" filter CTRL+ALT+J, I get exactly the effect I was looking for. A *scrap* type folder showing my quicksearch results, in the main window.

Now if only I could make those commands toolbar buttons... :D
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

turn accelerator key combos into macros & put on toolbar

Post by fgagnon »

Yes,
and how about expanding & generalising the effort for nikos to add a feature to "record keystroke" & assign the result to a "user command" which can be put on a toolbar.
Let's see ... I think this may require nikos to define a script langauge for x2 to interpret, as many of these neat-o "favorite functions" will be inappropriate for the DOS console interpreter.
He claims to be busy through Xmas ... maybe something to relieve the boredom in 2005. :twisted:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i'll need performance-enhancing drugs to keep up with you peoples :)

e2mtt note that although you can't add these selection filters on toolbars yet, you can nevertheless save them to be reused in future alt+G or ctrl+F commands