Save configurations?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

goggin

Post by goggin »

I assume the orignal poster knows about exporting the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc key? This works very nicely! I've used it for years to quickly restore highly customized settings after a reformat or moving to a new computer...works just fine.
johnsonlam

Post by johnsonlam »

goggin wrote:I assume the orignal poster knows about exporting the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc key? This works very nicely! I've used it for years to quickly restore highly customized settings after a reformat or moving to a new computer...works just fine.
The registry edit was OK but not good and easy enough to work with.
That's why many program need to handle the "saving configuration" by itself.

A user may good at operating the application but not with those regedit thing.
Hong Kong S.A.R. - International Joke Center
goggin

Post by goggin »

JRz wrote:Then again, I ask myself: do I have a 'backup' set of settings for other apps such as the Office suit, Outlook, Browser settings and so on...??

No, I don't because none of these apps offer such a feature. ...
BTW, as a point of order, MS Office has included a tool for backing up all Office settings since Office XP...it's called the "Office (XP|2003) Save My Settings Wizard" under the Start > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools menu. It backs up all user settings including templates and all Outlook (not Outlook Express) settings/accounts/etc. (It doesn't back up your e-mail, just your settings and customizations). You can easily restore your customized Office setup after a meltdown or move to a new computer -- I've used this heavily and it's been a lifesaver for me.

While a heavy customizer like me really needs a settings backup feature in my customized applications, I already have that capability with xplorer2 by exporting the root xplorer registry key. I've used this settings backup method a lot and it's been a real lifesaver. I personally don't need anything more (and probably wouldn't use it if I had it), although I can appreciate that some may feel otherwise.

And just to beat this poor horse to death :roll: -- one of the new developments in WindowsXP that was heavily requested of Microsoft and they finally came through was a way to backup/restore settings easily -- hence the automatic Restore Point feature in WinXP -- and to be able to migrate Windows settings to a new machine -- which led to the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" -- a popular tool with corporate IT teams when upgrading a user's machine. (Where I work there are over 8,000 end users -- so this is a *big* deal.)

Even in Mozilla/FireFox (open source browser) development, one of the key features that stays a steady topic of discussion is the ability to backup/restore/migrate settings, customizations, and bookmarks.

So this is a feature that is slowly becoming mainstream.
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

It isn't a mainstream, but easy enough workaround - browse to x2 folder, F7 settings_backup.bat and F4 it with:
regedit.exe /e .\my_settings.reg "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc"
(or settings_backup.lnk and F12 with same command line, plus "." as "star in" folder)