Save configurations?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

rino

Save configurations?

Post by rino »

Hi,
is there a possibility to save your global configuration in xplorer2?

I mean, the more you use it, the more personalized becomes your "global" configuration (toolbars, buttons, etc)
If you happen to uninstal it for whatever reason, then on the next reinstal you have everything default ...
it would be nice to retrieve your settings in that case, don't you think?
Rino
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

You can rename the key to something like xplorer2.global.backup or xplorer2.layout name.backup.

The only thing that is not saved is the toolbar settings. Everything else such as bookmarks, filters, user menu's, column sets are saved.
Vas
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

It would be very handy if we could have a backup for all the settings...
WinXP Pro SP2
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

There's "handy" and there's "backup" to recover from FUBAR

For "backup" just export the keys of interest to .reg files using regedit.
Then to reinstall, just open the .reg file of interest (e.g. d-click from x2 or other file explorer).

To save a preferrred layout, that's: Window | Save layout...
and fill in the Name you want to give the setting, and enter a Description for it.

In fact, the "handy" way to save the same layout is with a different name to have an extra (backup) copy kept in a registry key extension of that name. (But this wont duplicate the .global key)

These layouts (i.e. the default & the named layouts) contain the settings which are expected to be customised (pane preferences, toolbars, history, quickview, ...); while the settings which (at least nikos thinks) will be used for all layouts go in a common .global key (colunm sets, favorites, the find blacklist, user menu ...) .

So far I have no quarrel with nikos' choices for what's in the .global key; but that's one of the things this forum is for -- to let nikos know what you think would be an improvement.

I hope this helps a little, & encourages you to keep stirring the pot of ideas -- with constructive arguments & explanations to support your case(s).
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

Then again, I ask myself: do I have a 'backup' set of settings for other apps such as the Office suit, Outlook, Browser settings and so on...??

No, I don't because none of these apps offer such a feature. Why is it we want this for X² then I wonder? Are we going to install many times starting with the default settings?? That would be odd, wouldn't it?

So I think the standard ways to save these settings (i.e. backing up registry keys like fgagnon suggests) should be sufficient. I consider it no key functionality of the filemanager.
If you really have to install on many machines and want to use the same settings everywhere that's the best way to do it anyway :)
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

If the Nikos put the seetings in a XML file instead of put in the register, the problem is resolved ;)

Many programs doesn't have the backup option, but many others have!
So whay not? The great's programs always makes the difference... 8)
WinXP Pro SP2
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Just because something can be done, does not necessarily make it good to do. - What makes something good to do is the functionality it brings.
as JRz wrote:Why is it we want this for X²
So, please explain why this is important for you.
i.e. - How would it improve your file managing with x² ?
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

My point exactly :)
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

fgagnon wrote:Just because something can be done, does not necessarily make it good to do. - What makes something good to do is the functionality it brings.
as JRz wrote:Why is it we want this for X²
So, please explain why this is important for you.
i.e. - How would it improve your file managing with x² ?
It's very simple!!!

When I have to install the x2 or the x2 crash and I've to change all the settings, bookmarks, etc, again...

This is my opinion, if you have another... :wink:
WinXP Pro SP2
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:[...] When I have to install the x2 or the x2 crash and I've to change all the settings, bookmarks, etc, again...
[...]
You'll have to have machines configured the same to be able to do this in a useful sense. For instance: bookmarks usually point to a specific folder, which may or may not exist on every machine you install X² on.

I consider X² to be just an application you have to install and configure after installation. Part of this job is setting up preferred settings and bookmarks and such.
It's not a job you'd have to do on a daily basis and there is a way to make the job easier by exporting existing registry setting to a file using the satndard windows tools (Regedit), if you find it too much trouble to do it by hand (as I do).

About X² crashing: does that ever happen?? You won't loose settings when that unlikely event might occur. Only changes you have made since the last normal program termination (when 'Tools|Options...|Save program state on exit' is enabled) or last 'Actions|Save settings now'. Even if you did loose them, being able to export settings to a file from X² wouldn't help you in that case either, would it :)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Hopefully this crashing is not a daily occurence.
And, in my experience, x2 crashes do not change the registry settings.
(If you have frequent crashes, that sounds like another issue.)

To be able to retrieve prior x2 settings, for whatever reeason, probably the best way is to prepare for the need by first exporting the HKCU keys xplorer2.views_of_choice and xplorer2.global, using regedit to create the .reg files.
If you have the unicode flavor installed, the keys to save will be xplorer2_UC.(+extension).
To restore the settings, just open the .reg file (d-click in explorer, or 2xExplorer; but not with x2 -- all x2 processes should be shut down, because x2 will overwrite the key settings when it closes normally.)

hope this helps.

[edit/add -- oops, I got interrupted & didn't see your post, JRz :} ]
johnsonlam

Suggestion about "export configuration"

Post by johnsonlam »

How about ask Niko to implement something like:

1) Save in .INI
2) Save in .XML
3) Binary export .CFG

My favorite is the same as the order above.
Hong Kong S.A.R. - International Joke Center
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Re: Suggestion about "export configuration"

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

johnsonlam wrote:How about ask Niko to implement something like:

1) Save in .INI
2) Save in .XML
3) Binary export .CFG

My favorite is the same as the order above.
:thumbup:
WinXP Pro SP2
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the INI system can't really work with the "multiple registry keys" principle that's behind x2, including a .global key for shared options. INIs are fine for simple programs but for x2... problemo!
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

nikos wrote:the INI system can't really work with the "multiple registry keys" principle that's behind x2, including a .global key for shared options. INIs are fine for simple programs but for x2... problemo!
The XML will be fine....

A lot of programs use it to backup the settings, like ZoneAlarm, FileZila... :wink:
WinXP Pro SP2