x2 frequently crashes on exit

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pmike

Irregular crashing while moving files (but X2 still ROCKS!!)

Post by pmike »

While doing some heavy file managing (re-org folder structure) on my network share at work, x2 crashed all the time (not just on closing).

This frequently happened when "dragging" or Ctrl-X/Ctrl-V ing files to change their locations; it didn't always happen, but once every 10-15 times does get anoying. I seemed to have better success using Ctrl-F6, however (maybe its something to do with refresh).

The problem may be related to file management over our network at work; however, I would prefer that xplorer2 report an error rather than just crashing.

HOWEVER, x2 is still the most phun utility I've ever used for managing files (even if it does crash occasionally).

X2 ROCKS!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

pmike,
Some folks have reported less problems with v1.0.0.1
You did not indicate what version you are running.
(& if its not the latest [1.0.0.1], you might dnload it & see if things get better) :?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

pmike, i'd be interested in a dr watson log when the next crash occurs
are you working with x2 during the copy operation or just waiting for it to finish?

also does the plain explorer crash at all for you?
pmike

Post by pmike »

> you didn't indicate what version you are running
I am using x2 1.0.0.1 on WinXP Pro SP1

> pmike, i'd be interested in a dr watson log...
What is a Dr.Watson log?

> are you working with x2 during the copy operation...?
I am just waiting for x2 to finish the move/copy (it won't let me do anything else during this operation)

> also does the plain explorer crash at all for you?
I have enjoyed using 2x and now x2 pro so much that it has become my shell/interface to Windows. (Does Windows even come with a file manager? ;-)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

dr watson is windows' program funeral director :)
when a program crashes it creates a log (funeral rites) in this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson

please send this to me via email. In fact chances are that all your previous crashes are already in it. But let's make sure we get one with version 1001

BTW, x2 will allow you to do other things while it is copying, only it is a bit sluggish to react. Still note that launching a second copy operation won't work, unless you clone a new window. But other than that you can continue previewing, browsing, etc
pmike

Post by pmike »

I sent an email to: umeca74@ic.ac.uk
I hope this is the right one.

Interrestingly, there were no drwatson log entries of x2 crashing until 06/23/2004. I upgraded from 1.0.0.0 to 1.0.0.1 on that morning.