x2 frequently crashes on exit

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

tlalinne

x2 frequently crashes on exit

Post by tlalinne »

Hello,

I'm a long time user of 2x and a recent registered user of x2 pro.

But first, since it's my first posting in this forum, I would like to take the opportunity to thank Nikos for his outstanding work on X2 (and 2x of course). This is a really impressive file manager which outperforms, IMHO, the rest of the competition by its simplicity, power under the hood and compactness. Long live x2! :wink:

On my computer running XP pro sp1 (french edition), x2 is working most of the time. But it crashes quite frequently on exit. When I launch it for a quick file management task and then immediately exit it with alt-x, it never crashes. But, It seems to crash after running for an extended period of time and only when closed.

I tried to reproduce the crash but with no success. The only way to increase the probability of the 'crash on exit' is to make many file manipulations for an extended period of time then there is a good chance to see it crash when closed.

First, I get the classic crash window that says (translated from french):
The instruction at "0x77f73905" is using memory address "0x00000067". The memory cannot be "written".

Then I get a small window that says:
'Runtime error 216 at 77F73905'

Then I get a window that asks me if I want to send the error report to Microsoft.

It's always the same address and error number that are reported each time the crash happen.

That's all I can report for now. I'll continue my investigations and if I can find something I will post it here.

Happy exploring with Xplorer2 :D
Thierry

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever - Mahatma Gandhi
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i think i have found something that may be causing this
we'll see if the upcoming version 1001 will be crashing on exit or not
some other people have seen this crash-on-exit but has never happened to me!

thanks for your warm acceptance of x2!
tlalinne

Post by tlalinne »

Hello Nikos,
i think i have found something that may be causing this
Could it be some thread problem ?
I hope you'll eventually kill the beast :lol:
some other people have seen this crash-on-exit but has never happened to me!
Yesterday, I installed it on my laptop also running XP Pro SP1 and played extensively with it the whole evening. You know what ? No crash!!! That's really strange because the 2 machines are similar in their configurations which are quite minimalist and patiently tuned (I have only a few selected programs installed)

By the way, is it ok for me to also use Xplorer2 on my laptop or do I need to buy an extra license ?
Thierry

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever - Mahatma Gandhi
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

1 man - many machines
or 1 machine - many men
all are fine

many men on many machines is not!

as you describe it you are fine, but you'll have to make sure that others can't/don't use it
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

I also have this problems...
WinXP Pro SP2
bowhuntr

Post by bowhuntr »

Here is a screenshot of the error message I get.

HTH

bowhuntr
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

bowhuntr, a tip for the screenshot next time: use Alt+PrintScrn to capture only the active window in stead of capturing the whole screen. Keeps your bitmap size to a minimum ;)
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
tlalinne

Post by tlalinne »

Hello Nikos,

Going further in my investigations of the frequent crashes when closing Xplorer2, I found that when I use the right click context menu, Xplorer2 crashes on exit 100% of the time and when not using the right mouse button over an item, it does not crashes.

Hope it will help you kill the beast :D
Thierry

JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

tlalinne wrote:[...] I found that when I use the right click context menu, Xplorer2 crashes on exit 100% of the time and when not using the right mouse button over an item, it does not crashes.
[...]
What do you do precisely? I'm not sure when X² crashes. After you've used some context menu or during??

Can you explain in more detail what the scenario is?
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
tlalinne

Post by tlalinne »

What do you do precisely? I'm not sure when X² crashes. After you've used some context menu or during??

Can you explain in more detail what the scenario is?
It does not crash at the time I use the right context menu.

It's really strange. I can use X2 for hours without problems and when I close it, it crashes only if I used a right context menu on an item during the time I used X2.

If I don't use the right context menu at all, even if I used X2 for hours, then it closes without error.

The right context menu is fully functionnal, the problem only appears when I close X2 and only when I used a right context menu.
Thierry

ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

JRz wrote:bowhuntr, a tip for the screenshot next time: use Alt+PrintScrn to capture only the active window in stead of capturing the whole screen. Keeps your bitmap size to a minimum ;)
Also saving the screenshot as a PNG file will make it even smaller than a JPG as long as there are no 24-bit photos involved :)
bowhuntr

Post by bowhuntr »

The right click is what does it for me too. Doesn't really bother me much, as it only does it on closing, but it is the right click that does it.

Sorry about the picture size.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

right click, eh?
i don't get it but at least now we have a pattern!
anyway, next week 1001 will be out and we'll see if this problem is still around!
tlalinne

Post by tlalinne »

Sorry to say so but the new version still show the same crash on exit problem. :crying:
Thierry

bowhuntr

Post by bowhuntr »

I don't know what the difference is, but it hasn't crashed on me since I downloaded the new version. I have tried the right click on several files and it works just fine.