Since the lite version has no search any alt search programs

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

tanger

Since the lite version has no search any alt search programs

Post by tanger »

I am annoyed at the lite version not having any file search feature however with registry editing you can put another file search program in there, the next update you should have a feature in options to browse for a file search program of your choice like you do now have for the editior. I want to know of any free, prefer opensource file search programs to use. I tried google but many were shareware and they did not have any real good ones. I hate the build in windows search, it only searches for like 5% of the files and you get incomplete results.
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Since the lite version has no search any alt search prog

Post by ckit »

tanger wrote:I am annoyed at the lite version not having any file search feature however with registry editing you can put another file search program in there, the next update you should have a feature in options to browse for a file search program of your choice like you do now have for the editior. I want to know of any free, prefer opensource file search programs to use. I tried google but many were shareware and they did not have any real good ones. I hate the build in windows search, it only searches for like 5% of the files and you get incomplete results.
Please don't upset Nikos, I think he's thinking of getting rid of the Lite version of xplorer2 as it is.

Yes, there is an alternative, use Google and search for Agent Ransack (freeware), it has a shell extension too :)
tanger

Post by tanger »

I am not going to upset Nikos as I know he is getting hammered because of this. I tryed google and did get that search one. I don't know if it is good.
tanger

Post by tanger »

Yea and that is crippled too with FileLocator Pro having the features I need. Also I found another program which was crippled and the pro version had the features I needed. That is why I am looking for opensource program because they usually don't charge for programs. I really need this because the bulid in windows search is terrible. Plus the peace of garbage sometimes freezes on me too.
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

tanger wrote:Yea and that is crippled too with FileLocator Pro having the features I need. Also I found another program which was crippled and the pro version had the features I needed. That is why I am looking for opensource program because they usually don't charge for programs. I really need this because the bulid in windows search is terrible. Plus the peace of garbage sometimes freezes on me too.
With the Windows Search feature make sure you have the Index Service turned off. I have heard some people say it causes problems.
tanger

Post by tanger »

I do have index search off. The thing if I search for certain files I get all of the results but then if I search for other type of files it misses most of them.
Celery

Post by Celery »

file search should really be fixed ... at least make it the same as in 2xExplorer ... please
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

Guys I'm not losing xplorer2 lite over your stupidity...
NOW STFU!

You can always go back to using 2xExplorer you know.
Icfu

Post by Icfu »

Explorer search function can be fixed but you need XP SP1!
Save as searchfix.reg, double click to import or enter manually in registry:

<---cut--->
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ContentIndex]
"FilterFilesWithUnknownExtensions"=dword:00000001
<---cut--->

Search function will search in all files regardless of extension thereafter.

Great search tools:
http://www.inforapid.de/html/searchreplace.htm
http://www.baremetalsoft.com/baregrep
http://www.boolean.ca/replace/

Icfu
hpp3

Free search tools

Post by hpp3 »

http://www.freewarehome.com/System_Util ... rch_t.html

I just typed in "freeware file find utility" to Google and this is what I came up with.
:wink:
ZoNi011

Post by ZoNi011 »

Celery wrote:file search should really be ... at least make it the same as in 2xExplorer ... please
I agree! There should be at least some basic search "engine" in lite version, and in Pro - powerfull! :!:
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

ZoNi011 wrote:
Celery wrote:file search should really be ... at least make it the same as in 2xExplorer ... please
I agree! There should be at least some basic search "engine" in lite version, and in Pro - powerfull! :!:
What you really mean is: 'there should be a better search engine in the lite version than the one that is available' :twisted:

Guys, let's quit moaning about a search engine being absent in the lite version. You get a search engine that equals the one provided in Windows (in fact, that's exactly what you get: and it's free!!). So no loss there. If you don't like that, please buy the Pro version and stop begging for more power in the lite version.

As is mentioned many times before: there's even an escape to get your own favourite file finder to do the work for you in combination with X² lite. All it needs is a little registry tweak explained in 'registry.txt' (located in the installation folder of )

On line 84 it states (version 1.0.0.1):

Code: Select all

szExtFindFiles    path for external find files program [default is explorer] e.g. c:\tools\finder "%s"
                  "%s" should be included; the current folder path is passed as an argument there
                  (this option is only available for the lite version)
If you are unable to get this done, you should seriously wonder if you need the extended search capability at all.

It's the last I'll say about this. I only hope that goes for you too ;)
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

I'm with JRz on this, xplorer2 lite is perfect the way it is. If you need a search engine better than the default one or Agent Ransack's than you should buy the Pro version.
ZoNi011

Post by ZoNi011 »

JRz wrote:Guys, let's quit moaning about a search engine being absent in the lite version.
hey... I actualy agree with you - I just thought that can be good for Xplorer2 marketing! :D

I think that Win-search is very good (and I use Total Commander when I need something more powerfull - and that is VERY rare!)

/offtopic/
I think that name of this great utility is not very good! I don't like program names with numbers - see how this can look: Xplorer2 2.22 8)
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

ZoNi011 wrote:[...] /offtopic/
I think that name of this great utility is not very good! I don't like program names with numbers - see how this can look: Xplorer2 2.22 8)
also OT:

It should be xplorer² 2.22.0.0. So that's not too bad if you use the exponent 8). Expresses the power of the application very well (pun intended :D )
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn: