Timed Demo

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

loggedonnow

Timed Demo

Post by loggedonnow »

I just purchased my license but have a thought about the way the timed demo is set up.

I put off buying the license until the new version was released with the ability to change the color of the inactive pane. As I knew the feature would be in the .1 release, I wanted to check it out before I purchased.

I downloaded the new demo and installed it but the number of days left had not been reset. For me it was not a problem as I had days left and could check out the new release. But, if I had no days left, I would not have been able to try out the demo, correct?

In the past, I have tried demos of products and found them not to be of my liking and then months later or more, decided to try a new version. If the time counter is not reset, I have no way of evaluating the new demo. I have not purchased products because of this.

Would it then maybe be better to reset the time counter with each version so that each new version can always be evaluated instead of locking a potential customer out because they evaluated the product in the past? :idea:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it's a fine balance between sampling new features and protecting the IP
i can't say i've found the optimal yet
v1001 was such a small update that didn't necessitate a change of keys
but for big updates you are right that a new evaluation period will be required -- and is planned to be offered. But there won't be many of these major updates, perhaps a couple a year or so
Luther

Post by Luther »

I have seen some protection systems that have a "reset on new version" feature, so users can try a new version on the same PC. If you combine this with a shortened trial period for new versions - say, 7 days - you would not be giving away too much.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i have no problem with that, anyway what is another fresh set of 21 trial days for me? It is you i am thinking of. All these trials scatter hidden information in your system so i can keep track when you first used x2. If each trial was to reset the clock, i'd have to use new hidden tracks and soon your system would be choked with x2 memorabilia :)